or Connect

Posts by Volcan

Proximity to the speakers is another consideration in listening rooms. If the listener is relatively close to the speakers and the walls much farther away it can behave similar to a nearfield arrangement. This can be a big help in dealing with rooms that that have drastically different sidewall conditions.
Not long ago I was considering this setup for my desktop where space is extremely limted and with dual monitors that I like to keep "as close together as possible". Sitting so close to the speakers I think I could have lived without a sub. I am curious to hear what people think of this system either for a small room or, in my case, desktop use.
My setup is somewhat like craig's and paul's except I have my subs outside of my three identical Usher BE 718 on stands. I have a 60 Pioneer Elite Plasma above the center speaker and the L and R are located about 18" outside the screen. I'll try to post a pic - first time - sorry it's so dark. I experimented a lot with speaker placement before settling on this. The speakers are arrayed on arc, equidistant from the hypothetical sweet spot in the center of the sofa (my...
akalmand - I posted a response to your similar thread in the speaker forum. In additon to those comments, I would agree that buying a used receiver and used pair of bookselves would be your best audio bang for the buck. If you live in a large enough city where you have many options on craigslist where you can see and try before you buy and not hassle with shipping it is a good way to go. Just for reference I saw a Harman Kardon 430 receiver for $50 where I live and tons...
akalmand - I think that you are on the right track. The cnet reviewers seem to prefer noticeable deep bass and don't really appreciate quality midrange. That may be great for the gamers but not the right direction when you are looking for supple and detailed mids - for me one of the most important aspects when I audition speakers. I am a little leary of the A2s even though they have gotten many good reviews. S Guttenberg who was a huge fan in his review was startled...
Aggie - Have you considered not using a center speaker and putting the $ into a better pair of of L & R fronts? If you are able to properly position the speakers so that they image well I doubt that you will ever miss the center speaker and will appreciate the better sounding speakers for music. You could take this thinking one step further and eliminate the sub from your shopping list and roll the $ into your front pair. Although you probably won't FEEL those bombs...
The simple solution - just get three identical front speakers with the typical arrangement of tweeter above the woofer. Set up speakers with tweeters at ear level and all speakers equidistant from the sweet spot.
How big is your bedroom and how far from the music will you usually be? Can you separate the speakers further than what I might imagine on a desk top where you are concerned with size - say 6 or more feet apart? If you can only place the speakers a few feet apart then these are probably fine. I am not familiar with samson but the A5s and Truths have each have a pretty good reputation. If you can't listen to them then it is hard to base your choice on which sounds...
ashbrown - Speaker systems for computer audio are an interesting audio "problem" and how you solve it depends on many things. You have to make some compromises to find the best speakers for your needs. There is no "one computer speaker best for all" solution. Will the speakers be placed on a desktop with a laptop or monitor? Do you have much room for speakers and therefore will speaker size be an important consideration? Will you be listening mainly at the desk with...
Using Blue Jeans Cable, including a balanced splitter so I can bi-amp my center speaker (easy to bi-amp the R and L by assigning back channels) in my 5.2 system.