or Connect

Posts by Volcan

Count me as one more who finds the remote to be quite good. Long ago I read a lengthy review where the reviewer was very positive of everything except the remote. I think it was mainly because it was not as intuitive as he may have hoped and he did not program it. It is a bit cumbersome in it's out of the box confgiuration, but if you use the wizz it software it can be transformed into simple, handy universal remote. For me audio quality is outstanding. As for...
jj - I had not heard of the study that you referenced. It sounds like the players would not meet the qualifications for properly functioning etc CD players. I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested that your study applies. Incidentally - the Masters and Clark articled was referenced by one of the leading proponents of the “no difference” camp. None of you complained about the study until I posted a summary of it and now it is under attack by those who have not...
rto - I am not interested in derailing the thread and closing it, actually, I started it. If discussing religion makes you uncomfortable, there is plenty of other content in this thread to comment on. I asked the question because it seemed to me that the “no difference” group demanded quantifiable, measurable evidence of the existence of audible differences. The irony is that there are clearly measurable differences in frequency-response curves, but the untestested...
jj - This is not an attack - just a question. Some people who believe that there are differences in the sound of CD players have suggested that perhaps there are some significant aspects that are either not being measured or are unmeasurble. Are you suggesting that there may be phenomena that exist that are untestable?
PD - Your position is different from many of your brothers. They say if two players are properly functioning, etc there will be measurable differences, but no audible differences, for ALL players that meet the much stated qualifications. The "there are differences" group believes that audible differences between players are not uncommon. Some of them believe that they can tell differences after spending some time with the players, but have difficulty in a DBT. The...
Queke - They didn't actually rank the players - just wanted to find out if they could hear differences. I am sure that you had fun with the Carver!
Well, I was lucky to get my hands on the Masters and Clark article - it is not easy to do so. However, I am glad that I did, it was interesting. Rather than support the position that all players sound alike it provides evidence that there are audible differences. Had I not gotten ahold of the article and summarized it, many readers of this thread would have assumed, incorrectly that it supports the hypothesis. No interest in either the Technics or the Carver, but thanks...
When I originally inquired if there were any listening studies that supported the hypothesis that “all” CD players sound alike, this reference was the first one offered. I wondered if this study and the others dating from 1990 and before would still be relevant today. I didn't simply discard it, as you have done, but asked about the evolution of CD players and how long it took for the technology to mature. Arnyk, who was the one who referenced the Masters and Clark...
Please see post #2 for where to obtain the article - a friend of mine sent me his copy...
While the few people in the "no difference" group who have actually read the Masters and Clark article pull out their copy and craft a response here is a question for the the "scientists". Is everyone in the "no difference" group an atheist? I am assuming that you have some quantifiable, measurable proof otherwise...