or Connect

Posts by Volcan

There has been quite a bit of discussion about science in this thread. It seems that the “no difference” group believes that they have measurable, testable data to support their position, but that the “there are differences group” do not have such scientific support for their position. I am rather analytically oriented myself and that was why, long ago, I inquired about what studies and tests supported the position that “all CD players (apply the usual qualifiers) sound...
Sorry for the long post but I finally got my hands on a copy of this article which is one of the five sources that have been identified that test the ability of people to hear differences between CD players. I'll try to summarize the results - those of you who are familiar with the article please let me know if I have misstated anything and add any info that you think will help others understand the article. The tests were conducted double blind, with level matching and...
Thanks cstory - I will check again but I had thought that I had it set up as you have suggested. Your advice makes sense.
Is anyone using an Xbox 360 with component video and using the optical audio? How are you hooked up and setup? I am having trouble getting my audio to work - it is silent - but the video is fine. I have worked through the set-up menu and can't seem to fix the problem. Thanks
mcnarus and jj0001 - thanks for replying to my post. I think maybe mcnarus more clearly understood one of my points which is that you guys believe all but very few CD players sound alike but the majority of people who have purchased a CD player or will do so believe that more than very few CD players sound different. We can disagree on what the majority of listeners believe jj. This is my opinion, different than yours, but I am surprised to hear that you disagree. Do...
krabapple - I thought that we all understood that we were talking about the vast majority of CD players and that it was not necessary to re-state the qualifications each time - non-defective, properly made, not modified etc. I'll accept your estimate of the percentage of CD players for which there is no audible difference. Is it 99.9%? 99%? 90% 75%. Whatever you feel the proper number is, those are the CD players I am referring to. Actually, it might be helpful if...
Edan T - I think your advice is very sensible for someone considering the purchase of a new CD player. Some may read this thread or other information and decide that there is no difference in the sound of CD players. I have been open to that idea, but I haven't seen evidence to convince me. Obviously, there are strong proponents of the "no difference" camp who have looked at the same information or some other information that has not been posted, and come to a different...
Been away for awhile and it looks like I have several pages of posts to look over. I am still trying to understand both sides of this issue and would like to better understand the basis of the "no difference" group. It seems that there are very few studies - five sources have been offered. Three are out of print magazine articles that may possibly be obtained through the library - I admit, I have not yet tried to do so. Another source of studies is very poorly...
Thanks Charles - I added this info about obtaining copies to post #2. It will also be helpful for those who wish to read the articles that arnyk cited.
arnyk - Thank you for validating and qualifying the list of truisms that I assembled based on the input I received previously. I appreciate that you realize that I am not trying to misstate the "objectivist" postition, just listing what I thought may be drawn from it. Your word carries great weight in the "no difference" crowd and it is helpful when we are able to clarify matters with a civl dialogue.