or Connect

Posts by Volcan

Is level matching essential? I see that in many cases the critcism of the test conducted by others is that the listening levels between players are not properly level matched. I understand the point that this would seeming exclude the effect of differing levels between palyers from influencing the results. I know that I will probably be attacked for questioning this fundamental assumtion, but here is why I am asking. When I listen to music I make liberal use of the...
mcnarus - You asked me to critigue a poorly designed DBT (thought it would be fun) and I offered to do one better - critique a what you believe to be a very well designed DBT. I asked that I not have to pay for the study and I also ask that it be written in English so that we can figure out what the heck they are talking about. My offer still stands. I am ready to learn from you and others about this matter which seems to be the basis of the belief in "no difference".
geekhd - back in my first post I described a listening test that I conducted in which I believed that I heard differences in CD players. When I stumbled upon this thread, I was intrgued to learn that that there are some people who believe very strongly that there are no differences in sound quality. Since then I have learned a great deal about related issues that these same people believe. I had decided to replace the CD player which I preferred in my listening test...
Chu Gai - Are you refering to the team that Sadahru Oh used to play for? I must confess I haven't been following baseball too closely for quite a while...
mcnarus - thanks for getting things back on a more friendly level. I don't claim to be an expert on any subject, but I am sharing my honest opinion and am eager to be educated by those who know more. If you or someone else believe I am mistaken, please by all means explain the error of my ways. I do know a little about testing and perception from a mostly unused degree in psychology from years ago. Not impressive I know, but enough to make me want to see how the...
CruelInventions - thanks for the advice _ I'll try to do better! Sometimes it seems my computer handles the quotes differently...
Thanks krabapple - I am trying to remember if you shared your thoughts on how those mp3 vs wavs and various re-mastered CDs compare - I'll look back through the thread. If you didn't share your findings I'd love to hear them or maybe you can guide me to a link. As for the "So?" I believe that you very likely conducted the tests in a careful manner and found results that apply to you on your gear. One point I was trying to make to mcnarus is that for the test to be...
mcnarus - sorry if I have offended you. We have had a pretty civil dialogue to this point -it would be nice if we could continue to do so. I'll try to respond to your objections. Quote: However, the very few tests offered to support their opposing point of view were not conducted to strict double blind standards either This is simply false. There have been loads of double-blind tests of cables, amps, CD players, the works. For someone brand new to this field,...
RWetmore threw down the gauntlet. He is betting that he can hear the difference in amps. He has even challenged some members in private messages. Surely at least one member in the "no difference" camp has the same degree of confidence in his position? Still no takers?
[quote=krabapple;15366264]Scientists who actually study hearing in general don't give a rat's ass about these gear issues or issues where the measurable differences are likely to be tiny. But perhaps the most famous recent scientific publication on these issues, discussed several times already on AVSf, is Meyer & Moran's paper on SACD vs CD audio from JAES last year . I should really keep the citation in some sort of permanent cache, because I end up providing it to...