or Connect

Posts by Filmmaker

Go ahead and trust them. If it says "10th Anniversary", you're golden.
I have the same problem with this and many of Ralph's reviews...I'm running what I believe to be the latest version of IE, 8.0.6.
But with statements like "The contrast is obviously blown and thus the colors are obviously wrong", you posit this as a faulty transfer, not just one with a different aesthetic bent than you'd prefer. Gaumont's pressing isn't wrong in any way; it appears by all evidence to be as Luc Besson prefers and intends. You just don't like it. That's a world of difference from "wrong". I'm glad you have your option and I have mine.
SHUTTER ISLAND The corrected SAVING PRIVATE RYAN The corrected GLADIATOR THE GODFATHER Collection: The Coppolla Restoration BRAVEHEART ROAD TO PERDITION The Original and Next Generation STAR TREK Sets (at least in terms of audio and extras, if not video) MINORITY REPORT THERE WILL BE BLOOD CLOVERFIELD COLLATERAL INTO THE WILD THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES BEOWULF ZODIAC INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL IRON MAN You might want to have that one hand checked...
I would have said Paramount but their catalog titles have all but dried up recently, so I'm going with 20th Century Fox. Both studios have in common that, other than the occasional snafus (e.g. PREDATOR, which I think is far less egregious than many others, a couple of the Sapphire Series), their transfers are excellent and the two studios also make a point to always carry over all bonus features, including trailers, that were on the DVD counterparts. If Sony would get...
How can that not matter? You've nailed the key point here: two different Luc Besson films with the exact same "error" in both (namely, blown highlights). Does it not obviously stand to reason that this means LEON and the Gaumont version of THE FIFTH ELEMENT are exactly as Mr. Besson intends them to look? And how can a director's approval not matter? It should be the final confirmation of what is correct.
And what amazes me that people always seems to fail to take into account is that, when there are clipped highlights, that can be by intentional aesthetic design. It's not an automatic, default error.
Technically, that would be PsITA. (*shrug*) I'm just sayin'...
The most overt clue that STARMAN is anamorphic is the glowing light form of the Starman as he first approaches Jenny's house over the lake. See the horizontal glare from the light ball that stretches from one end of the screen to the other? Blame/bless that on anamorphic lenses. Had it been Super35, the ball of light would have simply been a standard circular shape only (though in more recent years, those types of tell-tale camera effects are being added digitally in...
Down to the very last one; there is not one iota missing.