or Connect

Posts by sjavs

Mix away. I have a mix of speakers that will make an audiophile faint. Maybe my ears aren't premium quality but I can't hear any dissonance in my setup.
Mine's a Yamaha RX-V775WA - don't think it has the dialogue lift feature but even if it did, center imaging wasn't the issue I had. Issue with purpose built centers that I tried was that they simply lacked full-ness. They sounded small/weak and simply lacked presence. The setup, I have in place now with a pair of bookshelves for center, makes the center roar And, I think, I understand why. Doing spectrum measurements, I noticed that the center had a full range of...
Watched parts of a few movies today - LoTR Return of the King, Predator (3D), Avengers (Netflix streaming) with the volume turned up high and quite impressed with the Yamaha NS-6490 pair. Obviously, don't care for their music capabilities but they are doing an excellent job as the center (driven by a Crown XLS 1500). So staying with NS-6490 pair as the center for now. They are good all over, highs to bass. I figure moving to CV VE-12 might give better bass but don't think...
Thanks. Good to see someone else out there doing crazy stuff like I am At the same time, looks like I am pretty much on my own here since not too many people have tried this config. Monday, I am going to be able to test the config at higher audio levels and see where that goes. If all sounds good, then I am replacing the Yamaha bookshelves with CV VE-12f for the center pair. Adding another Crown XLS 1500 to drive the front L/R.Will post some pics when I am done.
^Bump^ Anyone want to chime in? I am ready to order a pair of bookshelves for handling the center. Klipsch RB-81 vs B&W 685 vs CV VE-12 vs Deftech SM55?
Having seen the spectrum of frequencies thrown at the center, I wanted to try out a full-range speaker for it - especially ones that could go down and produce good bass. I toyed with the idea of ordering a pair of Klipsch RB-81 or B&W 685 to test but before doing that I wanted a test balloon to prove/disprove my theory. Looking around, I realized the Yamaha NS-6490 I was using for surround had 8" woofers. So from the center, out went the BIC PL-28 and I plugged in the...
Yes, 200Mbps is more than enough for streaming music. Your internet connection is likely to be no more than 20-30Mbps so for streaming over the internet, powerline won't be a bottleneck. I use one of these with a Roku for streaming Netflix etc.
I did not abandon this thread, just took my time to test out a few things and make observations. Before I went to using a phantom center, I was using an Elan THP650LS. This is a 2x6.5" + 1" tweeter speaker. Pretty well reviewed, if you are not familiar with it. http://www.soundandvision.com/content/elan-theaterpoint-thp650ls-speaker-system However, using the Elan as a center did not sound good to me. The audio was weak, tiny and generally lacked character. Didn't matter...
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392074528&sr=1-2&keywords=powerline+adapterPretty straightforward to use - ethernet cable from AVR goes to one of the adapters, say A. Plug "A" into a wall power outlet. At the switch side, plug B into power outlet and an ethernet cable from B to your ethernet switch. Done. For best performance, you have to make sure that both adapters are on the same...
Look at powerline option if running a long ethernet cable is difficult or aesthetically not so pleasing. I think I bought a pair of powerline adapters for ~$30 (500Mbps).