or Connect

Posts by curly21029

Hello again, AVS. I haven't posted in a while, but would just like to share that my 65" S60 that was acquired last November is still functioning as perfectly as the day I got it. We finally got around to watching Pacific Rim on it last night and it was an absolute treat! It's the kind of movie that makes you wish more movie studios/directors/cinematographers/etc. would prioritize the at-home viewing experience and conform to the 16:9 standard. The sense of scale was...
The game mode is a lie! ...there is no game mode. Plug in your favorite calibration settings and enjoy the lowest input lag available to plasma this year. Personally, I use a tweaked Cinema mode for everything. I'm coming from a nigh-lagless (in game mode) Pioneer PRO-101FD and the S60 has been an absolute joy to game on.It wasn't too bothersome, really. It did require some diligence on my part to keep the process moving forward, but it's not as though my original...
UPDATEI contacted Panasonic a few days after making this post. They sent out a third-party technician within a few days who was somewhat impersonal and wholly dismissive. He took some pictures and left within five minutes. Shortly thereafter I called Panasonic to inform them of my experience and to reaffirm that the issue would be resolved. They assured me that -- regardless of the technician's findings -- that I would be taken care of. I was told that I would be...
I don't understand why this sentiment seems to be so prevalent. I see so many on these boards going all-in on OLED, but if the larger screens are anything like the ones that we've been able to buy for years on cellphones/PS Vita/etc. then color me unimpressed. Having zero luminance blacks is nice and all, but my main concern at this point is how well the technology will handle motion. From what I've seen, OLED has more in common with LCD than plasma in this regard and...
A question for S60/S64 owners: (65" models in particular; please state your panel size if you respond) do you have any vertical lines/banding a few inches from the right side of your screen? I have two. They appear infrequently, (light to moderately light, solidly-colored backgrounds... think the closing scenes of commercials) but I've noticed them after the first week and do find my eyes drifting to that area during content that I think it may appear on. I've tried to...
I think that the combination of pegged contrast and grainy in-store demo feeds help to mask common problems inherit to modern LCD tech.
As someone coming from a professionally calibrated Kuro, I detect nothing blatantly wrong with my S60's out-of-the-box Cinema white point. Perhaps your particular panel exhibits a different behavior, but I would recommend that you discontinue making direct comparisons with your old CRT regardless as there is a greater chance of it being further from accurate than the S60. Adding excess blue to whites does not make them "whiter" -- just bluer. Still, it's your TV and...
Thanks for the tip on using the screen saver. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't activate it when I first set up my PS3...I've been running 85 contrast, low brightness, and 2.2 gamma most of the time. I actually did run mid brightness and 2.4 gamma for a few days, (and then went to 86 contrast after seeing your settings) but thought the overall picture appeared a bit less natural than low/2.2. I'll run some more comparisons after I run up some more hours to see if I...
I finally had my first bout of IR. I came home late on Friday night, ate the dinner that my girlfriend had prepared for me, and then watched some Netflix. Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the couch almost instantaneously. It was an episode toward the end of the season, so after running through a few episodes the banner asking if I "would like to continue watching Futurama" appeared. It sat on this screen for approximately three hours. I woke up, seen the screen, seen...
Of course, but without changing both settings the picture becomes noticeably unnatural. (i.e 2.2 gamma with mid brightness and vice versa)