or Connect

Posts by jakmal

We have seen a lot of Android-based media streaming boxes with XBMC support. One of the aspects which has made the enthusiasts shy away from such boxes is the absence of full Blu-ray compatibility. Recently, this product was brought to my attention: http://vidon.me/android_blu_ray_box.htm These guys seem to be partnering with the developers of DVDFab to bring full Blu-ray ISO / folder structure functionality to the higher-end box (AV200). The AV200 appears very...
Very interesting, assassin. Do keep us updated. The forums over at ServeTheHome also had a trusted user come up with some more interesting WD Red observations : http://forums.servethehome.com/showthread.php?725-sotech-on-WD-Red-series-drives&p=5384&viewfull=1#post5384 : (which, I have to admit, I haven't been able to reproduce -- But, my WD Reds are used in a media storage NAS, so the stress isn't much). The reason the supposed 'limitation of 5' isn't widely known is that...
Vladd,CPU / GPU usage will vary quite a bit throughout the playback duration, and a record of the power consumption (either at the wall or, a log of the CPU / GPU power from within the PC using CoreTemp or GPU-Z) is the most reliable way to monitor usage efficiency.
More than the decoder, it is the render which is responsible for much of the power consumption.FWIW, I have found LAV in DXVA2 Native + EVR works best in terms of power consumption. EVR-CP is not at all power efficient. CyberLink uses a slightly modified version of EVR as its renderer if I remember correctly.
t-c, you have got to relax. Bumping up your request for a response when I haven't even posted anything inbetween those two to suggest I am ignoring your post doesn't seem to be the actions of one interested in a exchange of ideas (and, btw, no one wants to be looking at forum threads 24x7)People can use CableCard and WMC and I am not suggesting that people shouldn't. Instead, I was suggesting that people should move on because what happened in the UK may happen in the US...
I never said that JRiver MC18 is a replacement for WMC - they are in completely different parts of the review); The part about WMC being an add-on wasn't mentioned as a hard-ship, but rather that MS is not keeping HTPC enthusiasts as a focus group anymore. Within a few Windows versions, WMC will go away (and by that time, the CableCard initiative will also morph into something different - Content may be only delivered over IP for example, and DVRs may move completely...
Finally posted our piece (first of a three-part series) on the FC10 + Core i3-3225 build: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6523/streacoms-fc10-and-nano150-building-a-fanless-ivy-bridge-htpc
Our thermal testing methodology is here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6494/aleutia-relia-industrial-pc-review-ivy-bridge-q77-in-a-fanless-chassis/6Basically, use Prime95 in the maximum power consumption mode (make sure to change it to that, as the default is not maximum power consumption mode) and run Furmark in Stability Test mode (default). I have also experimented with Furmark in Xtreme Burning Mode, but not found much difference.My processor is i3-3225, which is 55 W...
I think David did that to make sure the capacitors didn't interfere with the heatpipe's thermal dissipation properties, and also to make sure that the capacitors themselves didn't burn out due to the heat from the heat pipes. Personally, I think most caps are rated for 105 C or more operation, and when I checked with IR thermometer, the temperature around that area was only 78 C. I didn't squish the heat pipes, but, then, I wouldn't suggest that squishing them serves no...
David, Thanks for the updated pics. I completed my build and all related setup and finished some burn-in testing just now. For starters, the included ODD bracket does work with my drive provided I place the drive on the panel before putting in the screws. I am not sure why this is the case. I also put in only the left bracket and didn't screw in the ODD to the right bracket which was just attached to the panel. As I said before, I am not able to explain why this is the...