or Connect

Posts by blueroom

HCA still needs a Windows PC to run which is another rub, perhaps a Linux port might happen but who knows. I assume the clients can be Android or browser based which is great. A Windows PC still needs external hardware to control; plus the device I propose could be controlled by a PC.I have an inexpensive, quiet, low power Synology NAS with 2TB of storage that has more than enough computing power to run as a basic HA controller. This would be an excellent master controller...
Anywhere it's needed. I would figure it's small enough and cheap enough that multiple modules can be networked (Ethernet, ZigBee or RS485). If Ethernet can't be run to at least one unit an inexpensive Ethernet to WiFi AP/Bridge like the ASUS WL-330 could be used. If there was a commonly available inexpensive NAS such as the PogoPlug, Synology, QNAP, D-Link... with an RS232 port (even a USB to RS232 adapter) driver that was not a hack I'd be happy to use that as an...
The real problems with the AppleTV2 1. it doesn't buffer to Flash, that 8Gb is for something but it aint media. Most likely for apps. 2. You can't stream movies from a typical NAS you need iTunes running. Else nice product. Convert your movies with Handbrake and you're all set.
I've been working all weekend to get a hardware design that's practical and doable. Based on PIC expert opinions I've dropped the 32MX in favor of the more popular 18F87J60 with a smaller PIC acting as the IR & 1wire encoder plus tertiary serial port. In a nutshell the device will have: 1 Ethernet 1 RS232/422/485 full flow control 1 RS232 full flow control 1 ZigBee ($20 XBee S2 & S2P are now ZigBee compliant) 1 128k SPI EEPROM 3 Relays 3 IR blaster outputs 1...
Hence the need for an open source product, it can be upgraded via firmware to stay relevant. Also something modern enough that it won't be obsolete two years after its design (much of the HA stuff I've seen looks like it was designed in the 1990's).Look what happened with the old S100, Apple II and IBM PC, they were designed with card slots (not compatible with each other) so end users could develop hardware that the original designers would have never thought of. Modern...
LOL, I just want to be the master of my domain. As for end user programming there has to be a happy medium between what Harmony has done for remote controls (database in the cloud, download only what you need to the device) and Lego for programming their Mindstorms robots (easy enough for anybody).
Ahh, thanks. That's what I thought. I suppose they'd work directly as LANC or SIRC to devices that had those ports. My old Sony VCR had direct ports as did the TV.
More on the Brains. Here's a demonstration of an embedded PIC32MX based web server. Shows potential without the cost or effort of gong the embedded Linux route. http://welchomatic.homelinux.com:8080/index.htm I've also been looking at the Global Cache series of HA controllers, they are very similar to what with some improvements I'd like the yet unnamed device to be. PS why are multiple IR blaster outputs desirable, is this mostly for home theatre control where it would...
Quote: Originally Posted by jkv I've thought about getting one of these to play around with HA wall wart It's evolved into the PogoPlug. Best Buy sells them. Problem is no serial I/O available, the device is basically a NAS & LAMP server. I mention it in my rant thread in this forum. The new Pro version appears to have WiFi. If it supported USB to RS232 dongles it would open up a world of possibilities.
I've not installed HA (Lights, HT / audio) gear but have been working with remote thermostats designs and security systems since 2002. In my old house we ran X10 (unreliable stuff) and Z-Wave controllers when they were sold in Canada at Bell, the software was minimal and kinda pricey for what it did (little more than a calendar with timers) and the Z-Wave remote chewed through batteries fast. The 24/7 full blown PC on always rubbed me the wrong way as way too much...