or Connect

Posts by DrewL

Hi, I think this qualifies as a technical question :-) Ideally for a CCU operator or video engineer who works at a TV station. The legal range of Y values for broadcast in 10-bit space is 64-940, aka "studio swing". Many HD cameras, though, take advantage of the full 0-1023 range ("full swing"). If you want to broadcast footage from them you have to legalize it at some point. For the "real" HD cameras in the studio, do they clip at 940, or is it up to the CCU operator...
Tried calling 3 times to get cable tech support, once I pass all the correct menus the call drops or I get a "this number has been disconnected" message from Verizon. Wait time for the online chat seems to be about an hour. Hm. (Just received a new SD STB from TW, I get EPG but no picture on any channel.)
Coolscan and Glimmie have some valid points. As always on AVSForum, the discussions get very lengthy :-) Any weak link reduces "quality", and there are many, many links in the chain. Arri Alexa's OLP filter, Apple Color's incompatibility with 5K media which requires transcoding, cable companies' crappy low-bitrate recompression, LCD pixel decay time which is slower than the refresh rate..... the fact that the best technology exists doesn't mean that the world can...
Just setup my Centronics ZAT502 w/ QAM, I'm in the Miracle Mile area (Mid-Wilshire). The virtual channels are really odd, as in 66.22 for KLOS, 66.25 for PBS, and NBC HD is 67.541! I figured that TWC moves those around and they might not be identical to the analog and OTA channels, but seriously, 67.541 instead of 4.1? Is there a table somewhere that lists them? Because I have no plans to memorize those numbers, not to mention my poor gf...
First of all, thanks for all the responses. I agree that the cable companies' DVRs are very clunky and limited. Also, you were right about the DVR fee. It's actually $21/mo. which makes quite a difference. From there on it's all details - what kind of entertainment experience are you after? I felt like my investment in an HD projector was well worth it, but spending $100/mo on cable wasn't. I already have a Sony BD player so that takes care of a number of HTPC functions....
Not on a regular basis, but I'm sure you've heard of borrowing an HBO Go login. There are plenty of other online services that are only available via a browser and not, say, on my Sony BD player.
It's been several years since I've been in a master control room - I'm on the post production side - but I find this hard it believe. Networks and TV stations are supposed to do nothing to the signal off the tapes (files, nowadays) they air, especially now that everything is digital and there's little to calibrate. The burden of getting picture and audio perfect ("legal") is up to post production. We're given a strict set of delivery requirements - handbooks that span...
By "compete", I mean offer comparable features at a competitive cost. It's fair to say they're apples and oranges (owning your own HTPC beats leasing a closed-box DVR, and an HTPC is a cool DIY project), but that's not the point for everyone. I recently got fed up with Time Warner's prices ($60/mo for a basic HD package with 1 tuner, no discounts) - and cut loose. I was hoping to replace it with an HTPC. My goals/needs: Watch open DTV channels via QAM as well as ATSC...
I'm the new owner of a ZAT 502... or at least I hoped I'd be. Mine lasted for all but 15 minutes. A few minutes after I got my channel scan done, the video output turned into noise/snow/corrupt signal. Doesn't even matter if the antenna is plugged in or not. The HD/SD button doesn't help. SD still works, but I bought this unit for the HD component out. Also, when I got back from work today the display showed 00000. A power cycle brought it life again...for about 2...
Dang, I really hope you're wrong (or that this applies to a small minority of theaters), most D-Cinema projectors are perfectly capable of screening HD. Otherwise I might as well watch it at home...