or Connect

Posts by cableup

Last Thursday a replacement panel and a main board arrived. If I had to guess I would say the panel is a refurb or NOS. Just not packaged to the degree that I expect of "new". Kind of a moot point because Square Trade has provided what I paid for, service and warranty after the Samsung warranty expired. The tech returned today and swapped them in. He told my wife that we should watch carefully for issues in the next 90 days. I will do that, not because Square Trade does...
There were some scheduling complications but the tech arrived 1/9. He installed the T-con board and the flat cable. The results are not good. While he was here the set showed a magenta blotching on the right side and a lined, low res kind of overlay. Since his visit, it has demonstrated similar fails to those it displayed before the parts swap. The good news is, it is self correcting now and it was not before. If I leave it alone the effects will fade shortly. He has...
Bumping this thread up to current 01/14. The date of manufacture of my UN55D8000 is March 2011, also the date of purchase. Manufacture according to the name plate was in Tijuana, Mexico although I expect assembly was there and the parts are Asian. November of 2013 is when issues appeared to me- call it 2 years and eight months. I do have conditioned power through an APC battery back up and the only source connection used on the Samsung is HDMI in to the ARC port from an...
You are right. It now shows 869. I purchased yesterday online with no phone conversation. The advertised cost 679. Otherwise identical ad. Call them on it.
Through next monday OneCall is offering the 809 for 679 bucks, free shipping and a couple of 6' HDMI cables thrown in. You can get a 10 dollar discount if you elect to subscribe to their emails, final price 669. I had to go with it.
Well, after two months of online research that brought me up to speed on current offerings I dropped the hammer at Amazon today for a UN55D8000 with the starter kit gimmee. My 47' Viz in the living room blew a main board fuse awhile back and although I brought it back to life with a soldering iron and about five bucks worth of Radio Shack fuse parts, I decided the time has come to retire the old girl to the bedroom. As is always the case when I go for a big ticket gizmo I...
While I have no sympathy for any home entertainment technology that mandates wearing appliances in order to experience the value of the technology, I have to admit that I'm surprised at the results of this poll. Considering this audience tends to be more tech savvy and more prone to be early adopters the fact that almost 70 percent of responders see no future in this tech is telling. It's common knowledge that industry insiders read and contribute to this forum. By...
At this writing 65% of American households now sport HDTV. That's up from 52% in '09 and you can thank the digital standard and falling prices for that big annual jump. The annual tv sales number is a moving target but it's safe to project more than 35m units will be sold during 2010 domestically. So... 12m of those won't need HD capacity. I would venture that those buyers will not be in the market for any bells and whistles including 3D. Of the remaining 23m let's be...
HD and 3D = apples and oranges. One offers an improved video experience the cost of which may be a dealbreaker, the other an experience that we can expect to not only include a cost impact but to require the application of an appliance to our faces. As it is I wear glasses. I'll pay for an appliance that corrects my vision to the point that I can drive but I'm not disposed to pay a premium to wear glasses to do an activity that I don't otherwise need glasses to...
The IBM controller is PnP for Media Center. I would prefer it to the Di Novo except that it's not backlit which makes keyboard use a struggle in dim lighting and the trackball is too easily moved and by easy I mean if a door closes in another part of the house or the dog barks or you try to get the popcorn out of your teeth the trackball jars and up comes the MC overlay in the middle of the movie. Not the end of the world but a real buzzkill sometimes. It's a fine idea...