or Connect

Posts by cjsiv

The F8000 is $1000 more. Of course it's better. The Sony 900 only comes in 55". The W850 is $500 more and has the same uniformity issues. And the Vizio sets are unproven as of this point. The E series I saw over the weekend had the cheapest remote I've ever seen and the menus were quite sluggish. Granted it's not the M or 4K,but they dropped 3D across the board with no current ETA. Why enter the F7100 thread to put it down? Mine has no flashlighting and my microdimming...
Actually I am a DirecTV customer currently and have been off and on for 20 years. I left for about two years and upon return have seen a significant degrade in image quality. Specifically macro blocking and compression artifacts which have been talked about quite a bit here on avs.Secondly, I am quite familiar with video codecs and compression. I understand what you are talking about quite well. The problem is most people have problems getting consistent throughput...
DirecTV can't stream 720/1080i without massive compression artifacts. Why would they think they could do (or any provider for that matter) 4k? No one even has bluray 1080 quality bitrates via streaming. Shouldn't providers be able to do current formats correctly and at max quality before they ever even look at next gen? And who has bandwidth to stream 4k. I have 25 meg/sec fiber connection with a constant 23.5 down and my computer stutters trying to stream a 3 minute 4k...
I consider myself an informed consumer,definitely not a newbie to home theater. I love my 7100 and chose it over the M series, even though I could have bought 5 Inches larger with the vizio for the same price. If you do some research (as I did) you will find many thought cnets review of the 7100 was half assed. I went through many,many TVs last year and the Samsung is far above any of them that I tried performance wise. Their implementation of micro dimming,although...
Unfortunately this reminds me of when Hyundai wanted to get into the luxury car business and compete with Mercedes and BMW. Forgive the comparison. On paper everything looks great. The initial impressions are good. The value is there. But at the end of the day, the biggest obstacle Vizio is going to have is the fact that their name is on the TV with a certain portion of their buying public. My experience with them has not been very good. I've also had Panasonic, LG,...
This is what worries me. Stuff like that. It looks great on paper and initial impressions,but implementation isn't up to par. I'm torn right now. I bought a new TV black Friday week and have until Jan 31 to make up my mind. These sets (more so the M and U later this year) look killer. I'm SO tempted to return mine and get one of the new vizios in a few months. The problem is my current set is pretty perfect. (Samsung F7100) No clouding when micro dimming is engaged and I...
The thing is,at 32-42 inches,things like resolution, etc aren't that big of a deal if you are using it for a TV (movies,gaming,etc) and not doubling as a PC monitor. Something with decent black levels,low input lag and good motion handling is all you really need at that size at a normal seating distance.
From those pictures, the TV isn't being fed a signal. You are looking for uniformity issues the correct way. The screen saver is engaging the local dimming and giving you a black screen. Of course they are going to have issues without feeding it a signal. I've yet to see an edge lit led set without clouding or bleed when local dimming wasn't being used. If it's actually there with content, then thats another story.
Are you using movie mode? Movie mode disables micro dimming by default and you will see clouding depending on how high your backlight is. My 65 inch has some flash lighting in movie mode but no others. Try standard and see what happens. Also don't judge off of a display with no signal. The micro dimming doesn't kick in until it is fed a signal so try a sci fi movie in space, or something with dark scenes and see if it is noticeable then.
Well.....After reading about the Samsung TVs announced at CES on cnet, I'm glad I bought my F7100 when I did. Looks like the H7150 is pretty much the same as the 7100. Same dimming scheme, etc. I have no interest in a 4K tv at this point and the H8000 is curved. The 7150 is the top of the 1080p food chain next year if you like your TVs flat. The new Vizios sound intriguing with the full array back lit on every model, but their abandoning of 3D across the board turns...