or Connect

Posts by Joe Demuth

Well it has been 18 months since my fix and everything is still working great - knock wood ! One of the best summary posts, I have seen is on page 6 post 166. Re: the class action suit, I recently rec'd notice of a settlement but that was for the "shadow effect". As I recall that case was in the courts before the white dots occurred and one of the attorneys I talked to in early 2009 ( Lax I believe but it can be found in earlier post) said they may try to...
Several folks seem to be in a bind because they are uncomforatble with doing the repair themselves. Many of the authorized Samsung technical repair shops are doing more than needed (replacing the entire light engine optics- 800$) and also charging alot for the repair ( like 200$). So here is an idea: If you were to repair it youself, you take the risk, but based on the success rate here, if the installation is done properly you face very good chances of success. But...
I may be that you touched the glass front of the DMD panel ( DLP micromirror assembly) when you instaled it and left some finger marks/grease. I would imaging that if the glass plate is not perfectly clean yo'd get a blurred image or a diffuseness/fogginess to the image.
Bremlin, How stupid am I .... I should have looked more carefully at the fan to see if there were any model numbers or speds on it when I repaired my DLP ! In fact I should have tested the fan too to make sure it was working before sealing up the tv compartment! The fan is a bit skimpy, so a replacement to a higher capaity would make sense and probably cause more noise. As I recall reading somewhere, some of the earlier units did have noisy fans, so maybe the newer...
After taking the bad micromirror chip out I was looking at it carefully with an eye loup (a magnifying glass that jewelers and watchmakers use). If you look for reflections off the chip and rotate the chip a bit you can see tiny bright spots where the stuck mirrors are that are at a different angle than the normal mirrors.
After working on a bunch of other items, I finally returned to install the DLP engine in my HL-S4666W PB02 unit. For others with this unit, please be aware that the configuration of the heat sink on the DLP panel is different from PeZJunkies unit but easily removable. I also found that the last of the cables that needed to removed - on the top of the DMD board- were impossible to remove, and so like others I lifted the DMD board up and stuck the DPL panel into its...
CATBIRD - the pin configuration on the DLP for the PB01 version units is different from the PB02 version units, so make sure the DLP is for the correct version. As I recall PEZ's unit was a PB02 version....
Just though I'd comment for others that after further inspection I see that the DPL panel has a glass cover built into it to protect the micro-mirrors.
Pez, this will be a great reference for the forzen pixel community ! I have recieved approval for full coverage for the repair bill from Visa. I will eventually repair this unit ... right now my refrigerator is having problems. I am still wondering why the micromirrors in these HLS units seem to be failing. Based on the research paper Samsung published on accelerated testing, the micro-mirror failure occurs with elevated temperatures. So I would believe that the...
I ordered the DLP light panel on Wednesday from Partstore.com and it arrived on Friday ! I was surprised at how little packing it came in - only some bubble wrap around it in a very thin carbboard box ! Will install it next week sometime, and let you know how it goes !