or Connect

Posts by aehaas

Another update: We had a Christmas in July party here Saturday. We played the DVD of the San Francisco Ballet's Nutcracker (Opus Arte) and a few people who go every year to the Met in NYC to see it said it was better here than going there. Although the video was only through a RP TV the audio was spectacular. Another find was the video/DVD performance of La Cenerentola (Decca B0013374-09). I am a Cinderella fan. This was the best audio performance I have heard and you...
I have one complaint. When you put in a DVD movie or BD disc you may have to stop for some reason and the disc can be started where one left off. Unfortunately the same is true for CD's. You can press STOP twice slowly to reset the disc and then eject it but the basic tendency is to just eject the disc when you are ready to audition the next tract on another disc. I prefer all CD's to be discovered and to start at 00 on the first tract. When you put in the previous...
Main Version: AYDX5-50-0424 Loader Version: BT0410 85750410 Sub Version: MCUD5-27-0326 Chip Version: 0B.00.01.00 aehaas
"The other bug I've found was when I changed the remote code to another than default (1). Because I'm using Oppo 83 in my system, so have to change anyway. I tried #3 on remote and changed in the menu too. After that, my remote (now on code #3) couldn't be used well. With BD disc, it worked well, but when I changed to CD or SACD, my remote didn't work at all. I had to use only the buttons on the player, not on the remote. However, when I changed back to code #1 (set on...
Another week has passed. The lows are deeper, lower and crisper. If you do not like a lot of bass you will want to pass on my system. It will knock you off your sox. The highs I will describe as higher, crisper and yet in a way more delicate. The triangle just pleases me like never before. The midrange is more full. That is all I can say. Maybe this is a poor description but I am at a loss of words. I find it difficult to stop listening to my old Redbook CD's. I cannot...
My previous CD deck was the Levinson No. 31. The CX-7e was a loaner from Ayre as courtesy until the DX-5 I ordered came in. It was not one with the MP upgrade. I did host the Meridian 808 or whatever it was several months back. It was a little bit of an improvement to most but not all CD's. The age of the CD did not predict the improvement. This unit is a marked improvement, in all aspects, not just an improvement in one area or another. We are talking about a clear,...
Mine is black:
I have an early but lengthy review up now: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18824524 aehaas
Part Four - Enter the Ayre DX-5 CD, SACD, DVD, BD Universal Player Once again we waited. I had deeper bass upon plugging it in but there was otherwise no initial improvement over the Ayre CX-7e. It was no worse nor better other than the bass. ...I have had it a couple of weeks now and it just keeps getting better. I really do wonder what it will sound like in a few months. What we have now is the ability to hear individual instruments as the first violin. Is this...
Part Three - Ayre Amps and Preamp The Threshold amps depart and the Ayre MX-R amps arrive. I remember being somewhat disappointed when I first plugged them in as they sounded no better than my Threshold amps that I just sold. The Ayre amps were not cheap! But I do recall the exact day when it seemed, all of a sudden, that I turned on the system and played one of my favorite operas, and again fell off my seat. It has been a while since that has happened. Why does it...