or Connect

Posts by jmiyake

I know they use acoustic louvers for exterior and industrial purposes. Does anyone make acoustic louvers for residential interior use?
The sound from the home theater was going right through the hollow door down the hall to the bedrooms. I bought a solid heavy door and pretty much completely solved the problem. Sound is very deadened by the heavy door. However... now that the main problem is solved, another problem has become audible. The heater A/C vent runs a straight shot, about 20 feet from the theater, then splits to the bedrooms. Now, I am a late night movie kinda guy, and you have never...
Going over this thread again. leibniz said: Quote: sound absorbtion panels would likely help treat the acoustics of your theater listening environment, but not substantially stop transmission to your kitchen. I don't completely understand this statement. For example, if I were to completely cover the downstairs theater ceiling with foam wedges say 4" thick, they would greatly absorb most of the frequencies above 125 hz (according to the...
Brad said: Quote: From my readings, the basic concepts for acoustic treatments in a studio and a home theater / listening room are very similar, except studios tend to be a bit more acoustically dead. According to Ethan's article referred previously, the studio requires that there is some amount of reverberation remaining in the room or the recording sounds dead. While such revereration is not desirable in a home theater. Which implies that a home...
I find that the pod race scene is the most effective bass demo I have found for quantity of bass. I have had people comment on the pressure waves in the room, and how they can feel their chests vibrate. To really impress people I take them to the back room at the opposite end of the house about 40 feet away, and let them feel the closet door vibrate! Funny thing is that I am building a new set of subwoofers. Hopefully they will be just as powerful, when I want them...
I had a friend's wife come over and see my 7' stereo rack, and ask what that was. She thought it was a supercomputer or something. When I told her it was my sound system, she was even more amazed. I have had several people point at my speakers and ask what they were. They were stunned when I told them they were speakers. Of course they are 6'4" tall. :D Have you had any interesting reactions to your system? ;)
What kind of reactions have your friends and family had to your powerful subwoofers? Is there anything you do or show them to really make an impression? Thanks!
Thanks for the nice comment on the braces... I got a lot of family stuff going on during the week. Hopefully I can steal away some time to work on the subs some more. I miss bass! Haven't had any real bass for several months. So I am very motivated to get this done. James
Ethan Winer said: Quote: * Broadband (not tuned) bass traps straddling as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners. In a room with the dimensions mentioned, how much bass trapping in needed. Also it always seemed to me that couches and loveseats should have effect on the bass. Quote: * Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling. Everyone seems to agree on...
MaCall said: Quote: There is no such thing as an average room. Then let us make it a specific room that is very like most other rooms that may be used for this application. It is a ground floor room, concrete slab for simplicity. Standard 2x4 studs and sheetrock covered walls. 10" overhead joists leading to an attic or crawl area. 8' ceiling covered with sheetrock. 14' x 20' a lot of the rooms people are using are near this dimension. I have...