or Connect

Posts by Loobster

I thought the idea of the test was that the encrypted channels are decoded by the cable box and output over analog outputs (e.g. component) unencrypted. Otherwise what was the point of the test?
Hmmppp...so I still need the $200 Ambry converter as well as the DVD recorder. Looks like I'll be investigating the TiVo route some more. Aren't there TiVo devices with DVD recorders integrated now? With the Black Friday sales coming up...and the great deals already on PC hardware, it almost seems like it's worth building an HTPC tower for me to hide behind the TV. Quad-core with 2GB and 1TB for $200 online, including mobo and ATX case. Could be worth considering, if...
Quote: Originally Posted by jjeff I've used the yellow-white-red (video and stereo audio) cables and they work just fine. I use the Red for the Red(Pr) Yellow for Green(Y) and the white for the blue(Pb). It doesn't really matter but that's the way I do it. I wouldn't do this for long runs, but for a 6' cable it works just fine. Ok I found a 4-foot one and tried it. On a couple of channels there was quite bad color splitting (where you see the...
Cool, I will try that today and see what happens.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tulpa http://www.zatznotfunny.com/tivotogo-faq/ The TiVo route does intrigue me. But if I switch to satellite in the future it basically becomes a large paperweight. There's another plus though - right now I have a Blu-Ray player which doubles as a Netflix receiver. We rarely play BDs - but use Netflix streaming quite a bit - so with TiVo units having Netflix built in, that could replace the BD player, meaning...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tulpa You should really find three yellow ones if you have them. I don't. I guess I could spend another five bucks on fleabay to see if it works.
Hmmp. Not looking good for getting the 513 into my existing stand then.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tulpa Do you have three composite video cables (yellow RCA plug)? That can replace a component cable (component cables are three composites tied together and color coded.) Will any 3-plug RCA cable do? I have one of those designed to carry video and audio L/R (yellow/white/red).
Quote: Originally Posted by Tulpa TiVos have cableCARD slots that allow you to access the encrypted channels. You can rent a cableCARD from your cable company for a few dollars a month. Now that is interesting. I pay $10 a month for my HD PVR....so even if the cable card was the same price to rent..... But surely the programs would be encrypted on-disk..... and transferring them to the PC over the network wouldn't give me useable files -...
Quote: Originally Posted by kjbawc Not so. Blah blah. You folks (the ones who keep bleating on about how I need a HDD enabled device) aren't listening. You can make up whatever reasons you want why HDD enabled devices are better for me. I'm not buying it, and I never will. I won't respond to further attempts to convince me on this subject. I'd rather keep the discussion to what I actually need, which is to try and work out the recording...