or Connect

Posts by Jeremiahm

Whats a speakon and why are they superior to bananas?
So the binding post type of plug that has the horizontal hole that you slide the wire throught then clamp the top down is what I need, and those work well with SOLID wire, but I should solder that connection? Or, am I not following about the inwall wire hookup?
I have a home theater that was wired with SOLID 12 awg wire for 5.1. The wires just come out of holes behind permanent speaker locations, but I want to be able to put my fronts and center away when not in use. So, I'd like to terminate these wires at a wallplate that will accept banana plugs. So, I need to figure out which plug is best to use with solid wire. Any ideas? Once I upgrade my bookshelfs with towers, then the towers will stay put, but until then, I'm not...
My living room is 20x13. It runs north/south with my screen wall to the north. My couch is at 14' from screen. Screen is a 16:9 106" diag. I have a 5.1 klipsch synergy system and an onkyo 607 receiver. My biggest problem is a 7' opening into the kitchen on the east wall. From the screen wall it goes from 8' to 15'. Which that makes a problem for my right surround placement. I have a ceiling height of 9' 8" so is header above the opening too high for my speaker? Instead...
Ok, thanks for the answers. My PJ needs about 11.5' to throw a 100" screen. There is a back door in the wall on the end of the room where my screen would go if I changed orientation. I'm going with a electric pull down in either case, so it's not really an issue. I figure I'll pull a curtain across the back of the room to make it look nice when I lower the screen in front of it. This is a dual purpose room, and the screen isn't going to fit into the day to day decor,...
I have a long narrow room with a large (7 ft wide) opening in the middle of it on one of the long walls. My proposed screen location for a HT is to the left of that opening on the same wall as the opening. That wall is 8'2". I'd like to have a 100" screen put there. That leaves only about 3" on each side of the screen. The room is 13x21 with a 9.5' ceiling height. I guess I have a few options: 1. Use small satellite mains for R/L so they would fit in those small...
I have a long narrow room with a large (7 ft wide) opening in the middle of it on one of the long walls. My proposed screen location for a HT is to the left of that opening on the same wall as the opening. That wall is 8'2". I'd like to have a 100" screen put there. That leaves only about 3" on each side of the screen. The room is 13x21 with a 9.5' ceiling height. I guess I have a few options: 1. Use small satellite mains for R/L so they would fit in those small...
If I go long ways, I don't have anywhere to put the surrounds with that big opening into the kitchen on the right wall. Would you put them on the ceiling? Speaker stands aren't really an option, or at least one I want to use, for hte surrounds. Would the room be too long to put the surrounds on the back wall? If I kept it on that short wall like originally planned, how about using a soundbar? Would that make the distance to the wall in the left corner better? I'm not...
Thanks so much for the thoughtful answer! I have lots of new questions now but im only on my mobile, so im not going to peck them all out. For one, would an in wall speaker in that left corner act better than a normal speaker, or tge same?
I attached a diagram of my "proposed" set up. 1. Where "should" the bottom of the screen be compared to your eyes while seated? 2. Would you keep the screen high, and then put the speakers below it? I only have a 100" wall to put everything on. A hundred inch diagonal screen takes up 87" of that wall, so no room for speakers to the sides of the screen. 3. Instead of going lower than the screen with my towers and center, I "could" go with a acoustic transparent screen and...