or Connect

Posts by Mac128

My LN32A450 just made an incredibly loud POP or CRACK, went off, then came on again on it's on. After I turned it off and then turned it on again several hours later, it once again made a loud series of crackles. Then turned on as usual. Anybody have a clue as to what is going on here? I've read about bad capacitors on other threads, but not specifically for this model. Is there any risk of fire or explosion? I'm assuming it's days are numbered. Should I call Samsung? Is...
It took me a while but here is the clip from the BluRay with the new digital efx. The original DVD is on top, with the BluRay below. I include it for comparison since the DVD was framed slightly to the left, and the BluRay moved the framing to the right just enough to clear the most of the garbage on the left. It also appears as though they digitally cleaned up some of those shadows apparent in the DVDs. I wonder if this is indicative of the level of work they did...
Thanks for reminding me of that. But I'm not sure how up-scaling to 720, or 1080 produces a better image than keeping it at the same relative vertical resolution of 480. The pixels have to be interpolated horizontally, so it's going to get fudged no matter how big you make it. Where this phenomenon is most noticeable to me is when I watch a DVD on my computer. Viewing it at the "native" pixel resolution is much sharper and clearer than having the picture fill the full...
No I don't have the TC. The camera is locked down, so anything shot from this angle would be framed the same way, and should line up exactly with the sample (essentially what I did). The only DVD screen cap I had available was of a slightly different frame (I don't have the TNG BD). Nevertheless, a professional DP would never let even these minor details be included in the shot unless they knew there was no chance it would ever be seen. It's a little sloppy even knowing...
Two questions I have been contemplating since the Star Trek TNG discussions about OAR. The first one is easy enough. Given that 480p, 720p and 1080p all look best in their native resolution without any scaling, doesn't it make more sense that the respective media is mapped natively to the exact pixels? Specifically, shouldn't 480p content be windowboxed? Granted it would make the image smaller, but the resolution would be sharper, and presumably the TV setting could be...
What exactly did they do here? I assumed they went back to the original multi-track audio tapes and spent a couple of days on a dubbing stage for each episode re-mixing, just like finishing a normal episode of something. that's really the only way to do a reasonable 7.1 mix. And of course, it would be all subjective since it would be a spatial reinterpretation. TV sound mixing pros are so practiced, and TV standards so ridgid, that the general levels would turn out almost...
[Interesting point. I believe it was DS9 that was the first to start doing CGI effects. If that's the case, was the output resolution enough for HD (even 720p), or did they just do the minimum for SD? If the later, DS9 and Voyager are going to be a long time coming as they are not only going to require complete re-editing and compositing, but all of the CGI creation required for TOS. And I'm not sure either of those series justify the expense. Maybe restoration of the live...
I have to say this is really disappointing. I have the DVD which is pretty good quality for a DVD, and perfectly watchable on an HD system. However, I have seen the HD broadcast transfer and while it looks pretty good, it doesn't really appear to be worth the money for a minor bump in video quality. Paramount really missed the boat here as far as extras are concerned. Clue has definitely achieved cult status And as such is deserving of equal treatment. At a bare...
CBS already airs 16:9 cropped HD versions of the original series in Japan and in the UK on their own CBS Action network. I have heard anecdotally that they are now airing the 16:9 cropped version in the US. As far as I know, only the SD versions of the 4:3 remastered version are still being aired domestically.If this is the case, you can almost be certain that the cropped 16:9 HD version of TOS will soon replace all the old SD 4:3 broadcasts -- which was almost surely...
Nice. But I couldn't help wonder about this particular screen cap, it looks like we're actually seeing too much of the right frame ... Or more than we should have, or indeed would have on a CRT TV in the 1980s. Note the soft glow that washes out the right edge of the picture. I either need to see more of it to know its not a mistake, or less of it as it would have been broadcast in the overscan area.