or Connect

Posts by Swancoat

Update: With a solution like this, reliability is always a concern. This thing basically worked without fail every time I used it, and actually the lift itself has now crapped out. I've torn apart the lift, and it is basically unrepairable, and looks to be kind of cheap-foreign manufactured stuff with no brand name to be found on it. So... I've decided to replace the lift mechanism (and ordered the IR control out of the box this time around). I'm going to retire my...
Ha, my other two sources are: -Airport Express (used to make 'announcements' etc... with HA system) -CD Player, which is connected for two very good reasons - 1: I had a spare old CD Player. 2: I had an input remaining on the GC (However, as an exercise in having time to kill... I DID get the Nuvo to control the the CD Player through the IR port, despite not having the IR Learner station. I found the hex codes for the player on remotecentral or something and you can...
I do as well. I bought the MPS4 as a luxury, but it's almost a must. 98% of what we play on the GC comes from it. Sirius, Pandora, our own MP3's, etc... all with full metadata support. I love it like a child.
I don't have Kinect (yet), but wanted to wire for it (and I like SceneIt for XBox, which also requires USB for its sensor). I've previously used some USB over Cat5 dongles to do long USB runs before. You can get these at Monoprice for ~$15 or so and use up to 150 feet of Cat5. For my theater, I went with one of these instead. I put an old-work single gang box in under the screen, and ran the Cat5 through the attic all the way back to my rack where it converts back to...
I'm a Mac guy running an Insteon lighting setup, and 3 POE cameras right now. I'm using SecuritySpy to run the cams, and Indigo to run the Insteon stuff. I like Indigo a lot, and recommend looking into it. There's a corresponding iPhone/iPad app that lets you create a full custom interface if you want. For whole house audio, I have a NuVo Grand Concerto for whole house audio. I use a few Applescripts to control the GC through it's serial port, in response to...
How much blacker could it be? The answer is none. None more black.
Hi, I'm the OP in that quoted thread. First off, I searched forever to try and find a way to get this done, and in this thread's OP there is a link to almost the exact same thing I did (but more complicated) and dated FIVE YEARS prior to me. How did I not find that? Would have saved me some grief. Anyway, I digress. As far as doing this with limited experience... I had none. I bought a 'learn to solder' kit before I started (turns out it's relatively easy to do something...
Loved reading this thread. I'm now happy to contribute by posting mine. Standard stuff. Slim 5-37.
More Pics...
Ok, I REALLY wanted to not have that extra RF remote sitting around just to run the TV lift and was determined to make this work. This is my story. Step 1: Buy extra TV Lift remote from the company that sells it. It was remarkably cheap. $15, and they even paid for the shipping. Step 2: Buy electronics kit that can use IR to close a relay. (Velleman MK161) I originally thought this kit could use any IR code, but it can't. You need to also buy the 2-button remote control...