or Connect

Posts by decooney

Noah, Thanks for the reply. I did try the Oppo 105 already and ended up sending it back like a few others for the same reasons, a year ago or so. I found the 105 to be super detailed, but a tad harsh or "grainy" sounding IMO. Others on the same thread found the same. I prefer my Integra HT player better for audio, and almost as well for video as the 105. Again, that was over a year ago when it first came out. Some of the engineers contacted me and there were...
That's funny, especially if the primary function is to reproduce enjoyable sound.
Have you already checked the output voltage and adjustable gain options (unbalanced and balanced) on any of the newer Sherbourn/Emotiva, Outlaw Audio, NuForce preamp-processors by chance?
Yes. DHC-40.1 HDMI board was just upgraded/repalced. I recently got mine back from my local dealer. All new and upgraded HDMI board. I'm not sure if its my imagination for being without it for a 10 days, but it not only functions better switching and activating but it almost seems to me as if the surround modes are more pronounced between each other and it has a different sonic signature . Sounds really nice. Can't quite put my finger on it but it does sound...
Rapidwiz, Sure thing. I updated the post with some of the listening impressions too after trying it out today. I made the post after reading about so many others who experienced similar issues. When my local dealer told me what he did (and I asked a lot), it was just nice for once to actually get something fixed and to have it come back BETTER and performing better than it did when it was new.
I just picked up my Integra DHC-40.1 preamp processor out of the repair shop from my local Integra dealer today. Same thing, HDMI board failure at 3.5 years. THE BAD NEWS: Same as others here, my main HDMI switching board failed six months out of warranty. Cost me $292 with tax to replace it. My dealer indicated they have replaced several of these boards in the 3+ year old units with a NEWER/UPDATED board and firmware form Onkyo/Integra. Apparently this has occured on...
Not confused - just trust my ears, references, and preferences with careful listening.
Espo77,My Integra DHC-40.1 home theater pre-pro is in the middle of being upgraded by the factory, and while it's away, I spent a little more time reading up on the NuForce AVP-18. I read on another thread you are getting close to buying the AVP-18. I think if I had to buy one now in this price range I would likely consider it as well. I recently purchased the matching DBS-50.3 bluray player to my pre-pro unit, and if I had not, I'd be looking back at the NuForce and the...
In the end, the human ear and critical listening performed by trained humans is what they compare it to. The human ear is a wonderful reference standard. It's not difficult to become a trained listener, with a little time and effort.In fact, it says so within the seanolive bloodspot article link you included: Quote: "trained listeners produce more discriminating and reliable judgments of sound quality"
Markus,Since you've been there and done that, if you determine something about the "acoustics" you don't like, how are you changing acoustics in a fixed family/audio-video room setting that cannot be changed much?Spending much of my time as a former speaker designer/builder professionally in my younger years and later as a side hobby today, I would be very interested in any new secrets you can share beyond the basic stuff that most people have already tried with room...