or Connect

Posts by southleft

When you check the running time of an action scene played in HFR and then time the same scene again on standard 24fps you will discover that the running times are identical. The Hobbit in HFR is clear, crisp and smooth with none of decades-old degrading artifact known as judder. The fact that movie watchers have always been accustomed to this judder makes it familiar, but does not make it superior. Many people loved gaslight and candlelight but they are not superior to...
We have our CD collection ripped to a hard drive in 16/44 .wav format and it works fine. With access to larger hard drives we now want to re-rip for better sound quality. Has anyone here listened extensively to 24/192 vs. 32/192 ? Is it worth ripping in 32/192? Thanks for your thoughts on this.
RobertR and sdurani : Your Middle Schools called. They said you're late for class.
Been going to the movies for about 60 years and have enjoyed the advances in technology along the way (with a couple of exception!). As kids we saw lots of movies filmed in 35mm black & white - old westerns, monster movies, cheap sci-fi and, of course, many classic films. Technicolor was a feast for the eyes even though it looked unnaturally rich. Then came widescreen movies. Does anyone remember what a big deal it was when CinemaScope and Super Panavision debuted? Then...
We went to see The Desolation of Smaug on Tuesday this week. It was at a Regal Cinema shown in their RPX theater in 3D / HFR / Dolby ATMOS. The detail and clarity are excellent, especially noticeable in fast action - no blur, no stuttering, just sharp clear action and terrific sound. And, while i too can ususally glance briefly at a scene and know from a lifetime of experience whether it's film or video, the only reason to prefer film is that you've been programmed to...
Here's my review of our Pioneer KURO PDP-5020FD. Hope you enjoy it. http://www.avsforum.com/products/pioneer-pdp-5020fd-50-inch-1080p-kuro-plasma-hdtv/reviews/4325
Our Pioneer KURO is now four years old and still going strong. Recently, I helped a friend re-calibrate his 18 month-old Panasonic (in THX mode). He felt the picture quality had deteriorated some since we originally set it up around sixteen months ago. His model is one that features Panasonic's revised manufacturing to overcome a fading picture. As it turns out, my friend has a keen eye. First, we turned his TV on then went to another room and had dinner. Later, with the...
Several years ago we bought a Pioneer KURO 50-inch plasma. After letting it run a few hours each day for about three months, we ordered a test disc (HD Essentials or whatever it's called) from Netflix and put the TV through its paces. First, we did it in broad daylight and chose to tweak the "Game" picture pre-set. A couple of adjustments brought about a nice result for daytime viewing. That night we ran the tests again using the "Movie" pre-set. Before all this my...
Here's our first impressions of the Bifrost DAC: Let's begin with the bottom line. The Bifrost DAC improves dialog/voice clarity on TV programs, enhances detail, air and stereo imaging on CDs and Blu-Ray discs, and improves the overall sound of music from our home computer. We ordered the Bifrost DAC from the Schiit Audio website late on a Friday in October. They shipped it out to us the following Thursday, and it arrived in good condition five days later. After...
No offense intended but, hey, if she wants you to get rid of your CD collection, maybe you married the wrong gal ! Next thing you know, she'll start throwing out your underwear and socks just because they have holes in them ......