or Connect

Posts by BPTTV

The tropo is hot tonight across Texas...with a simple inside antenna, I am seeing DTV RF50 signal 130 miles airline away near Aggieland (KBTX 3.1)...most of the Houston UHFs are booming in...but no Vs....if I had my old antenna set up, I shudder to think how wild it is!! (when you see digital noise on 22 that is slightly noisy already, you KNOW the band conditions are good!) Nothing from the east out of Cajunland....and over time, 39.1 faded but 2.1 on RF 35 is still...
HAS ANYONE else noticed the EPG on the local stations is STILL on CT and NOT CST?? Either the boxes are Linux or Windows with the time update turned off.....either way, you would think SOMEONE would fix it!!!! All this digital stuff works if programmed right...but ONE bit or byte out of whack and OOOPS!!! Shame that the quality of details over a decade or more ago are no longer adhered to....
Remember not all TV transmitter sites are at the same location.....VHF HI band has its own issues but KPLC (and 18.x) is near Fenton NE of LCH...where as 29 is north of Vinton....for a viewer in Lake Charles, that is 90 deg difference!!!With such a situation (and KATC/KLFY down the road in Rayne), two antennas, one pointed ENE and one pointed WNW or so would be best but then there is the issue of cochannel reception problems......A rotor and a good antenna is best but few...
I used a CM7777 on a RS VX90 V/U antenna and it worked quite well...pointed at Houston from Port Acres, it got most of the Houston DTVs most of the time...and the locals were also viewable with the antenna turned away from them so it did not overload...64 digital channels were a good thing...Terk, IMProO, are pieces of junk....I have yet to see a Terk work as advertised.....and would NEVER recommend one...never have in my 40 yrs of being in broadcast engineering...there...
LPFM and translators are two different types of stations....Under FCC rules, a translator is a Class D...a LP is either L1 (100w ERP) or L2 (10w ERP and none issued....so far).Translators were good ideas in areas out west where needed...but in crowded metro areas, they add to the noise floor and really do nothing but clutter the band...especially since they have little or NO local programming (really are allowed 30 secs per hour for a spot, etc insertion)...
Its due to the routing software waiting to time out and then act on the digits...wanna speed 7 digit dialing up? Add a # to the end...that tells the gear End of Digits....and it processes the call immediately. Otherwise, it waits 2-3 seconds for more digits, doesnt see them, times out and processes the digits received...
London may be Texas Born, Texas Proud but they show don't act like it on the air or taking care of their employees..from what I have heard...they started as a small operation and only recently moved to Dallas after buying KTXD.....dropping Me was a stupid move....
Trip, IIRC, doesnt a FM translator for an AM need a waiver requested by the AM?? In this case, the FM signal is not owned by the AM....and wont cover but maybe 10 blocks...until KTHT overruns it from its 2000 ft tower to the west....Its a stupid move and I know a LOT of listeners who will be complaining if this thing does sign on the air....may take a while but this 97.1 signal will eventually go off the air...
Hey Richard!.....Sinclair bought SFX and that included Dielectric as well (a LOT OF FM station were scared there would be no support or no more CBR antennas!!).. However, as of today, Sinclair and others running "duopolies" may have a raised eye brow on this from the FCC: http://www.radioworld.com/article/fcc-acts-on-television-jsas/269680 So much for one sales group selling for both stations...... Only time I watch 6.2 is for KingofTheHill at 5pm (and my initials of...
Well for those who like to listen to 97.1 Country Legends, prepare to write the FCC and complain...(only if this really goes through...a complaint has already been filed) E-String Wireless was originally granted a translator to carry KSBJ....on 97.1!!!! The Country Legends listeners will go nuts if that is ever put on the air. However, E-String lied in their application. They claimed the tower site is at 27 Sawyer Street. That location was the old studios for KLVI until...