or Connect

Posts by Alec88

Okay, I'm about ready to give up on the Onkyos. Between the NR1009 and NR3009 the 3009 has the edge in power and the imaging is just better. However, the sound in stereo just sounds processed and unnatural even with "Pure Audio" mode. It's not pure at all like with the Onkyo integrated amps. No matter what mode is selected, pure, direct, strereo, etc, the sound is always processed. And I finally found out why. It's right there in the manual and it applies to direct and...
I read both posts about damping factor and my past understanding was that there are various factors that might influence the need for a higher damping factor. My KEF IQ70 speakers are quite reactive and seem to be hard to drive despite the 8 ohm nominal rating. The actual impedance is actually 4 ohms - 18 ohms. Since the Roger Russell link was posted by Steve1981, look at the recent Mcintosh integrated amps specs. Damping factor is 200 and the one that does have lower DF...
Well, it's probably not going to be noticable with the Emotiva. I think I would be able to put up with ZZ Top more than the others if it was.
Audioholics just made a review on the UPA-500. This amp caught my eye when it came out so I've been waiting for some actual tests on it. Measurements are good except for some distortion. They didn't say anything about damping factor but the Emotiva specs state 500 at 8 ohms which is impressive. One thing I didn't like was that they used some fairly weak music for the listening tests. I don't have anything against the artists or the kind of music but I think they could have...
Any receiver purchased in regular stores here will not work in singapore. You may be able to get a 220v-240v Denon here and use it there. Just make sure it will work over there so ask the store. You can also get a newer multi-voltage Yamaha that will work in both countries. Yamaha volts is 110v-240v. World-import.com has them. They're BBB accredited but not sure they're authorized denon/yamaha dealers.
The "Speaker Distance" setting in "Speaker Configuration" which is used for surround processing.
I've had some time last week and checked out some Onkyos like the NR1009, 3009, and a smaller one (forgot which) and found that surround processing is always on even with pure and stereo modes. Speaker distance processing is active all the time and you can actually hear the sound change as the speaker distances are changed. That doesn't seem right to me. Can some of the owners check this out?
Hmm, maybe it just comes down to the quality of the parts and the amp inside? Last night at denon's site I compared the 2313 with the 4311 audio specs and there are some pretty significant differences. Note the huge weight difference.AVR-4311All Channels Rated 20-20kHz @ 0.05 THD - YesLow Impedance Drive Capability - YesHigh-Current/Discrete Amplifiers - Mono Amp DesignDynamic Discrete Surround Circuit – D.D.S.C - HD - YesIndependent Power Supplies - YesPure Audio...
Thank you all for your replies. I've narrowed it down to the denon 2313CI and onkyo 1010 but I think that after reading what inanevoyage said about his Monitor towers I'll probably get the denon. I'm going to look at the manuals when I get a chance this weekend. My newest receiver was a pioneer vsx-lx52 (vsx-23txh US model) that died so I'm using an older sony receiver for stereo with the iq10s. The sony doesn't have enough power for the iq70s and certainly little for...
Okay, so that's one for Denon. I'll check the Marantz website to see what they have thanks.