or Connect

Posts by DGuterman

Why does it need to copy a 2nd time? Can't it just play the file remotely from a shared drive? Can we use one computer to perform the same "Multi-Room DVR" function that Fios offers without the limitations of Fios DVR? I considered Tivo but after reading Tivo community sites, they quickly talked me out of that idea.
I'm a little confused here... If I record something in WMC using the Ceton card on HTPC 1, can I then watch that recording on HTPC 2?
Hello Dynaudio owners! I'm looking for some opinions to assist me in making a purchase. I'm thinking about buying a LCR setup of two Focus 220 II and the matching center or two Excite X32/36's and the matching center. I'm also considering a few other speakers from the likes of EMP, and Aperion (The Grand Towers specifically). If any of you can weigh in on any of the above speakers to possibly help me make a decision, or explain why I should buy the either the Focus or...
So, after much fiddling, I managed to get the Harmony One working with my HTPC, FiOS STB, and Onkyo Receiver just the way I wanted it to, with one exception: When I just the activity "FiOS TV" which is supposed to turn on my TV, STB, and Receiver, it turns the HTPC on as well. Then when I hit any other activity, it turns the HTPC off, even if I'm not trying to use the HTPC Activity. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems the computer is accepting all...
Does the HP SAS Extender require any extra work to make it work then just the straight card, or is it plug and play? Is there any functionality loss using it in that manor as opposed to the 24 port Areca straight to the SM's backplane?
Alright, after much contemplation, here's revision 2. What do you guys think? Case: SUPERMICRO CSE-846TQ-R900B Black 4U Rackmount Server Case - Retail Mobo: ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Raid Card: Areca ARC-1680IX-24-2G PCI-Express x8 SAS RAID Card - Retail CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM...
At this point, this is what I know: 1) I need two systems to properly do what I want. 2) I have intentions of upgrading the amount of space in the near future, so the 24 slots on the Areca are a benefit and not something I'm willing to give up. 3) I'd like to use the SM chassis over a Norco, I've read too many reviews that are similar to what was mentioned here about bad backplanes, and would rather pay the extra money then end up with an issue. 4) I don't need Xeon...
Is 100MB/s Ethernet fast enough for the application, or is gigabit necessary?
Do you have any experience with SM or Norco? How do they compare? Can i get away with the cheaper Norco case and still be content?
So, it seems like you are doing the same thing I want to do and two boxes is the way to go. I wasn't sure if the all-in-one box would work. As far as tuners/software is concerned, I haven't even began to look into this, because I can't figure out what to do with a server yet. I had considered making the processing power so beefy in order to accomplish all the tasks I was looking to, now that it seems one box should be used solely as a NAS, I could probably go back to the...