or Connect

Posts by Randath

I took the recorder to the local electronics repair shop. They diagnosed it as a bad DVD/HDD control board. Told me the parts are no longer available. Philips tells me that parts are available through their affiliate Fox International. Looked at their website and it only shows accessories. Power cords, remotes, etc. but no internal parts. If I had a part number I could call their customer service folks and inquire. Got to see if the repair shop has a part number when I...
I was very careful pulling straight off and making sure it was lined up before reinstalling. I got a response back from Philips Tech Support telling me to set the jumpers to Slave because the optical drive is Master. Another dead end. Still won't record to HDD. I forgot the voltmeter. Will have to remember that tomorrow to check if I'm getting power. Back to the drawing board.
The WD was the OEM drive in the unit. I looked up the model and the jumpers were set to Cable Select on the OEM. I had originally set jumpers on the new Hitachi Deskstar to Master and it did not work. Cables, I believe, are oriented correctly. The 40 pin is on a small circuit board, like DigaDo pictures on his unit. It won't install upside down. And the power supply is notched to show orientation. I will take a voltmeter home and check power supply. When I try to record...
The Philips Technician had told me to format to FAT16 or FAT32. I formatted to FAT32. This thing is stubborn.
Checked the drive connections again. I did verify that the WD HDD that I took out had jumpers set to cable select. I looked up the Hitachi jumpers and I did have it set to Master. Changed the jumpers to make it cable select. Re-installed the drive, checked the cable connections again and still SKIP 079 says HDD Connect Status: NOT FOUND. I didn't see a reset button on the main control board. Anybody got a picture of that? Still don't want to give up on it. I'll have to...
Wajo, I replaced with another PATA/IDE drive not a SATA drive so no adapter in play here. Should have been a straight swap, or so I thought. I even stayed with the same size, 160GB, to avoid any power issues. The DVD player works fine. Not sure if something on the main board went bad? I guess I'll try contacting Philips again and see what advice they can offer. Thanks for the assist.
I get a message saying "Can't record to this hard drive" and an E48 code? I had gotten it to "find" the HDD once but when I tried the 10 sec record the other night it gave me that same message. Since then I haven't got it to work. This is the second HDD I've tried in it. Rats.
I lost the HDD on my Philips recorder. I went through Wajo's post and replaced the drive with one of the Hitachi Deskstars. According to Philips the hard drive had to be formatted as FAT16 or 32. I went ahead and did that. Installed the new drive, powered it up and ran a Skip 079. It still says HDD Connect Status: Not Found. I opened it back up and re-checked all the connections and everything looks good. Still can't get the drive to work. Any suggestions? Thanks.
OK guys I've had my 790 up and running for a few weeks. The only issue left I can't seem to cure. I've searched and not found any posts with my symptoms. When I turn on my PS3 ('08 80GB model, can't play PS2 games) and the menu comes up the picture goes on and off, on and off. Random amounts of seconds on and off. When I launch a game, it's fine. I was using the same HDMI cable I had running between the PS3 and TV pre-Denon 790. I've tried two other HDMI cables. All...