or Connect

Posts by Bill Fitzmaurice

Measureable, yes. Audible, probably not, your ears aren't that good, and if they were you'd need to have a new and a broken in model of the same speaker to compare. Drivers that do break in to the extent that you can easily hear it tend to be pro-sound models, not home or auto sound.
If they have a zero attenuation option go with that. Any attenuation results in wasted output power from the amp. Use the AVR to control the volume of the surrounds relative to the rest of the speakers.
Not much, as the cabin gain in a room is dictated by the longest room dimension, not the room volume. It can even work out to have better bass, as a vaulted ceiling isn't parallel to the floor, which helps tame room modes sourced by ceiling bounce.
+1. To model how a driver will function make it a sealed box of 100 cu ft. Even if the actual volume of the attic is ten times that per driver the result will be about the same.
+1. The process takes no more than a week or two. You won't notice it anyway, as it's too gradual a change to be easily heard.
Reaching 60Hz with a 6 inch woofer isn't the least bit difficult, nor is reaching 80Hz with a four inch driver. Doing so at high levels is a different story. I use 4 inch drivers in my mains, crossed at 80Hz with no difficulty. But I have eight each in my L/R and six in my center.
In response to that you should be in the DIY section.
+1. Hearing is the result of a pressure wave applied to your eardrum. Whatever the wavelength or distance from the source the pressure is still there. As for the audibility of very low frequencies, that's limited by a number of factors, but distance from the source and room boundary effects are not among them. It's true that you can't hear 5 or 10Hz, but you can't hear that low whether the listening space is an open field, a small room or a headphone. By the same token you...
With a jig, either commercial or DIY.
+1. The post you quoted seems to be related to the mythical theory of wave development, which states that you can't hear a wave until you're a specific distance from the source.