or Connect

Posts by Bill Fitzmaurice

If the result is an improvement, and removing directionally locatable content from the subwoofer output will far more often than not be considered an improvement, that would not be considered undesirable by most users. It might be if one is so formula bound that they fail to consider what matters the most. As Duke Ellington so eloquently put it, "If it sounds good and feels good, then it IS good!"
If my procedure above is followed there is no interference. The only result when both low pass filters are used is that their slopes are cascaded. In most cases that's not required, but in some cases it's very beneficial, especially if the crossover frequency is relatively high, allowing too much directional information from the sub.
This comes to the heart of why CEA specifies a measurement distance of 2 meters. Measuring closer than that introduces a number of variables that affect the result. Those variables all sort themselves out as you move further away from the speaker. Move far enough away and it doesn't matter which way the driver or the port are facing, you can rotate the cab 360 degrees on any plane and the result will always be the same. Even two meters is a closer than preferred, but CEA...
If the Subdud did what your wife would really like it to do it would cart the sub out to the curb just as the trash pickup was passing by.
Your box modeling software program, such as WinISD, will tell you that. I can't see anywhere that you used one.
I know that he measures 2m ground plane, that's SOP, you can't get an accurate result measuring at 1m. The question is whether the figures posted are then scaled to reflect 1m/1w. I don't know, and if it says I can't find it. I measure subs at 2m/5.6v, which gives the same reading as 1m/2.83v. Danley measures at 10 meters at 28.3v, which gives the same reading as 1m/2.83v.
That's up to Ricci. He has a whole page about how he measures but there's a major disconnect between what it says and what's shown for results.
The window brace doesn't have any stability in that direction, so connecting to it alone won't have much, if any, effect. But if you connect all the window braces in that direction (you should have at least two with a cab of that size) with the one closest to the baffle connected to the baffle you'll end up with a stable structure. You'd angle the braces connecting the baffle to the first brace behind it to clear the driver.
+1. The only advantage to floor standers is their response and output below 60Hz or so, and those are the frequencies that most easily pass through walls, floors and ceilings. Later on you can add a sub or two to handle those frequencies, using a high degree of restraint in an apartment, and they will handle the low frequencies much better than a floor stander anyway.
I still have not found definitive information that confirms whether that data is raw or if it has been extrapolated to a 1m figure.