or Connect

Posts by Magic815

Above are a couple choice quotes from that link. This is all assuming you will be using an HDMI cable to connect to your reciever or TV. Realize that there will be a lot of new systems coming out in the next couple months in regards to HTPCs. I know the AMD (ATI) 6xxx series graphics cards are just around the corner as well as the next gen i3 CPUs. This means price cuts for all existing hardware. In addition, premade barebone systems are starting to get really close to...
It all depends on what your budget is and what type of movies you want to be able to play. Full 1080p Bluray rips with HD audio bitstreaming support take a very specific hardware and software configuration. If you don't need all that, the systems can get pretty cheap. I would suggest starting out by reading this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18816470
Just to clarify: To get HD audio bitstreaming (assuming one has the correct hardware), does MC7 need to use MPC-HC as an external player as well? I know XBMC will, but wasn't sure on MC7. Also, as a comment to the OP. Are you trying to find out a way to take a 5.1 DTS-HD stream and upconvert it to 7.1? I just wanted to point out that a lot of the "audiophiles" I've spoken with tend to like the sound of an untouched 5.1 stream better than a digitally enhanced 7.1 stream....
So I think I found a 4th option. Could this work? 4. Take the main movie/main audio stream/commentary audio/specified subtitles from the Bluray and make an MKV file. Then take the entire BR ISO/Folder structure again and delete everything that was just put in the MKV. So you essentially have all the bluray data intact somewhere - it's just either in the MKV or in the "altered" BR ISO/Folder structure. This means there will be no overlapping information....
Sorry if I'm just not seeing it, but which one of the Sandy Bridge CPUs will be the "golden one" for HTPCs? Are they all supposed to support HD audio bitstreaming? I recall the Clarkdale processors could, but had an issue with 23.976Hz playback. Are all issues supposed to be fixed with this next gen? Also, I've been waiting to hear more about the ATI 6xxx series. With Sandy Bridge, will a discrete graphics card even be necessary in a HTPC build?
In regards to the second option, how would it not be practical space-wise? I have no problem ripping an entire 1:1 bluray disc (see option 1), so putting the main feature in one MKV and the collection of short extras on their own video tracks would never add up to more than the unaltered ISO. Thanks for your response, though! Hopefully, something like this has been done already.
So this is a very niche question and might not even be possible with today's programs, but I figured I'd ask. What I'm trying to do is figure out a way to sometimes play just the main movie immediately (with menus and FBI warnings gone), but to also - on occasion - have access to the entire disc, including all the special features and extras. Now I envision three theoretical "ways" this can be done. 1. Have the frontend player (XBMC, W7MC, etc) be able to link directly...
So I've been researching a little more on the different options out there for trying to do everything in my above list and I feel like I'm getting closer. It seems as though the frontends XBMC, W7MC, and MediaPortal are all good candidates for accomplishing what I want. However, it looks like I'll need to play around with external players (MPC-HC, DSPlayer, TMT, PDVD) to get them to my desired setup. Do any of you have experience with achieving the more difficult...
Thanks for your reply! To clarify my comment about the "friends house" I simply meant for the system to be as universal as possible. Let me change hypothetical situations here and say: What if I got a Win7MC, Media Browser, DVD Fab, TMT system all set up and connected to my AVR via HDMI. But then one day my sound system breaks. While I'm out of a 5.1/7.1 setup, I decide that I will just connect my HTPC to the TV directly via HDMI- which only has 2.0 stereo speakers. My...
So I’m extremely new to the idea of a HTPC and wanted to get some help on a ripping procedure/HTPC system/frontend player combination that would best meet my needs. Right now I am looking to have my HTPC be able to do the following: - Play all TV shows and movie rips smoothly and without issue. This means from all DVDs and Blurays (MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and SMPTE VC-1) up to 1080p. This also includes being able to correctly handle movies that use seamless...