or Connect

Posts by vivatech

And last but not least, I have to show off the newest tool in my garage. Picked her up right before Thanksgiving! I'm so proud of her. Gives me a smile with every pour! I just brewed some rye ale that's about done fermenting. I'm going to attempt my first force carbonation. These side projects are what really derail the main living room construction schedule!!!
I'm going to pick up some 1x pine boards tomorrow and start construction on the mantel. This is the final mockup:
With all the wiring complete, I I had to tackle finishing the wall. I did not realize how much the drywall would stick out after installing the stud protection and stud shoes. The wall was not at all flat. From the odd shape I cut out of the wall above I had a really hard time trying to mend the joints. I really should have just taken off a full sheet of drywall, which just would have been easier to repair. I spent way too much time trying to teach myself how to skim...
Well, I haven't posted in a while. What a long project this is... I spent a lot of time back in August figuring out how to safely bore through a 2x4 studded external wall while meeting building code. 1-1/4" conduit is about the largest you can fit since it requires a 1-3/4" hole. If holes are less than 40%, you can just use a protective plate; if holes are 40%-60% of a stud depth, i.e. 1.4"-2.1", you need to double them up otherwise you need stud repair shoes. I had to...
It looks like some of Pioneer's 2014 DVD receivers are available for pre-order. The AVH-X5600BHS is at least listed at Crutchfield and ABT. Crutchfield tends to ship car electronics items early when you pre-order. Any word on the new navigation receivers? I don't see them at Pio's website. I'm interested to see what the AppRadio 4 will bring. I don't understand why it's so difficult for large electronics companies to integrate Android phones into a head unit.
Has anyone successfully used a Galaxy S4 in the front MHL port? I saw some posts about requiring an adapter. Will this tip adapter work with the included Pioneer MHL cable? HDTV Adapter Tip (5 to 11 Pin Converter) Has anyone used these HDMI adapters? The MHL 2.0 version appears to allow a higher power level thru the adapter for better charging. Does the SC-1522-K's front MHL HDMI port pass power through a standard HDMI cable or do you need the Pioneer MHL...
Removed the fireplace masonry to get my mantel as low as possible. Now I'm attempting to run 1-1/4" orange smurf tube. Just tore apart the wall. What did I get myself into...
That Klipsch will work in any room. It's not going to be that powerful though to shake that size of a room.Take a look at the Def Tech RLS II or RLS III. I'm building the RLS III into my mantel. It's only 3-7/8" deep and sounds better than a Mythos. Requires something to put it into however.
I'm looking to install gray conduit or orange Carlon conduit in old construction walls/chases. Usage is low voltage- HDMI, USB, network cable. I was going to use a recessed TV box at each terminal. Looking at conduit from 1.25" to 2". I am not sure yet what size exactly. What is the best method to terminate the conduit? Do they all terminate into boxes or do they just hang out behind the wall. I've seen some low voltage rings with conduit knockouts (1/2" and 3/4")...
Jeff- What size conduit did you use? Looks like 2" from the pictures. Where can you get low voltage rings for >1" diameter conduit?