or Connect

Posts by spidermaker

Extremely interesting string and have a question that may have been kind of answered: Currently have an SSD for OS and two x 2TB drives for video content in HTPC. The 2TB drives are being mirrored using standard Windows 7 Ultimate capabilities. Seems to work perfectly fine and performance is great. Unfortunatley too often I check check into the mirroring (via Windows Disk Management) and the mirror has mysteriously stopped mirroring at some point. Setting it back up is a...
Not an answer specifically but: why extend D: vs adding the new 3TB as the E: drive? I'm struggling with similar and am, for the time being, running C: SSD for OS, D: and E: for video content. Media Browser is simply mapped to each and works great w/o having to extend D: Would be curious if strategically extending would buy me something I'm missing as Im always open to something new.
Streaming is a "progressive" download where you watch/listen without actually dowloading the content to your device. Think of it like radio: your player simply receives a signal (or stream) but you never actually save the data to the device. Of course, via the plane wi-fi, you can connect to your home PC or cloud storage provider (done it personally with Dropbox and LogMeIn for document retrieval). Now, theoretically you could probably connect to your PC at home or a...
Certainly wouldn't consider it deficient, as a matter of fact, quite nice. That said, the two Shark007 codec packs are very simply to install so WMC will play MKV's. You're installing another 'something' anyway so it's really probably just personal preference.
Used Air Video for a long time but a recent new W7 build had troubles installing the required Java components. Switched to Video Stream and it's great. Interface is a little 'slicker' than Air Video and the one feature that I really like is the ability to turn on/off subtitles directly from the app. With Air Video, any hard coded subtitles were very difficult to turn off. Had to monkey with the language support to find one that wasn't included just to get them to go...
Ah the Flirc. Conceptually great but can't for the life of me keep it working consistently. I use the Harmony 880 and the only consistent setting via Flirc is to open Media Browser shortcut. I've used the WMC setting page of the Flirc interface and recorded simple keys like Play, Stop, Pause, etc...nothing fancy. Works once and ONLY if I double press the remote buttons. Once I close Media Browser it seems that 95% of the settings go bye bye. Very finicky and not sure...
I had the same hair-pulling experience two weeks ago with my HTPC. Worked great for 6 mths and all of a sudden would freeze about an hour into use, regardless of what it was doing. Thought it was the SSD, memory, etc...all seemed fine but the freezing, rebooting, etc. continued. Finally the video went dead through the on-board HDMI. Moved the video to VGA port - nothing. Conclusion is that my ASRock H55/USB3 board must be faulty. Sent it for RMA just today. Prior to...
Is the freezing happening just within the application itself or does it freeze your entire machine? And, once frozen, how do you get the machine back to operational? Hard reboot?
The question of "internal or stream" is valid. For instance, if you're mostly looking to watch content while at home then apps like Air Video or Video Stream are great. Both simply find the shared folder you assigned on your PC/Mac/other and stream them over your wi-fi to the iPad. Biggest advantage is that you dont have to convert the content to iOS compatable extensions - the app will convert it on the fly and do it very well. I have a large collection of 1080p movies in...
Thanks Krobar. Buffering issue - my set is the 64" 8000. If I'm able to use the Allshare interface to stream content from the HTPC to TV via HDMI or optical (vs the network) I'm sure the buffering won't be an issue. That said, the HTPC does not have an optical output, just HDMI. Any reason the HDMI wouldn't carry sound along with the video?