or Connect

Posts by Geickel

Thank you kindly.Dan
Tom, I get you. However, there is still no factual evidence that the next Elite will be 4K, unless I'm missing something. Also, I don't think the added detail comes from the resolution, but rather from the perceived contrast...unless you are talking about immense displays, or an 80"+ that you are going to sit really close to. Did you read the article I posted the link to?Dan
Gary, the distance you are looking for should be a little over 16 inches, although the distance you are at now would be almost "optimal"for a 60" according to the chart...for 1080i/p, that is. Dan
Well Gary, according to HDGURU, those are "optimum" viewing distances. It is my guesstimation that those distances would allow the perception of television size to remain the same. In other words, at the "optimum" viewing distance for a given diagonal measurement, every display size would APPEAR to be the same size regardless of its diagonal measurement. This would lead me to believe that you could subtract the optimum distance for a 50 from the optimum distance for a...
From the HDGURU site: http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads...ance_chart.pdfAlso, Geoff Morrison, who writes for HDGURU, wrote an article on Cnet about why 4K in the home is a "stupid" idea. I found it to be very scientifically objective and informative. Geoff and I don't agree on the benefits of "better" digital cables, but I think he's spot on on this topic. This article will also explain how he came to his measurements on the HDTV size/viewing distance chart...
Just wanted to add something for those of you who are gamers. GTA IV is AMAZING on this TV. I've never seen a video game environment look so lifelike. Because of the Elite's contrast capability, everything from the shadows to the reflections off of cars really lends to the suspension of disbelief. Truly unbelievable...til' ya see it. Dan
I'm gonna go a step further and say this: If you have a lot of light in the room, no big deal. The Elite has amazing light output, so it can compete with the brightest room light. Here's the "but": If you are sitting at an angle that will give you window reflections, it's gonna be a big deal. Also be careful what WILL be reflecting into your eyes. Our Magnolia signage (deep red with white letters) sits right behind the main viewing position at the store, and it can...
Thanks for the tip. It was the film. What an odd effect. I would suggest others check their sources as well, as this display is very revealing (more so than I realized) and, in some cases, may reveal flaws in the source.Dan
Two things: 1) I watched Kill Bill 2 last night, and I saw the pulsing/waving throughout most of the "The Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei" chapter. At least I think that's what I saw. Terrantino likes to add strange cinematic effects things, so I'm not sure. This was way more wavy than the pulsing I mentioned from "The Lion King". This is in THX mode. Because I'm a BB employee, I'm a little weird about returning it. Will sharp replace it for the pulsing? 2) Concerning...
Titus, I have no horse in this race, having neither met Robert nor been to his store. However, I would appreciate it if you could provide a link to the Cnet article stating that the blacks on the VT30 do in fact rise. The last time I saw anything on it, Katzmaier said the blacks on the GT and ST30s do in fact drop, and he said he expected the same from the VT30. Furthermore, he stated that the Samsung plasmas' black levels rise. Please provide a link, as I never...