or Connect

Posts by jsulmeyer

I have an 18 month old BD-A1010 that is - of course - six months out of warranty. Recently, I started having issues when I tried to play Red Box Blu-rays. I thought there was a problem with several of the discs I was renting but now I'm having the same issues with my own discs: I put in a disc and it starts to make clicking sounds, then lower-pitched grinding sounds, then it either says "no disc" or it goes to "setup." This happens on MOST of my Blu-rays now (I just tried...
Is there a way to set it up the BD-A1010 to be region-free? I have a few PAL DVDs I'd like to play... Thanks :-)
Earlier today I was watching Amazon instant prime content on my TV. I left t to do a quick errand and left the TV on with the Amazon instant prime menu on the screen so that I could pick up where I left off when I got back. When I returned, my receiver was still on, but my TV was not. When I tried to turn it on, the front panel light went from red to green but nothing else happened - no lit-up Sony logo, no "chime" sound, etc. Then, after about 10 seconds, the green light...
Thanks for the help with the front panel lights. Unfortunately, on both my 3400-M and my 3510-M, when I bring up the menu you mentioned, there is no feature called "Front Panel Brightness." The last one on mine is "sleep timer." Are you with Time Warner Cable? I am, and I'm in L.A.. I'm not sure how to determine what version of the software is installed on my boxes - do you? If so, could you tell me how and which version you're running? Thanks :-)
I don't know if that last post was intended for me, but I definitely appreciate the info. I'm on Time Warner Cable in Los Angeles, so I'm sure with the software being different and with certain hardware features being enabled/disabled, my experience with both the 3400-M and the 3510-M will be different than those who use Shaw or Comcast. That being said, I'm still at a loss as to which box to keep! I tend to be more than a tad indecisive anyway, but when there are pros...
Thanks for the feedback. One other thing I noticed is that my 3400-M has 512 MB system RAM and 64 MB flash RAM, while the 3510-M has 640 MB system RAM and 64 GB flash RAM. Does anyone know how this difference in system RAM might impact performance? Both boxes have 500 GB hard drives... Also, is there an advantage or disadvantage of having an internal power supply and fan (3400-M) or the external power supply (brick on power cord) and vents rather than fan (3510-M)? I...
I have the option of keeping either a used/refurbished DCX3400-M (brought to me during a service appointment) or a brand new DCX3510-M. Other than the cosmetic differences (smaller, vent on top, in-line power brick, no controls on front panel) what are the under-the-hood differences between the two boxes? Are there any pros/cons of either box that would help me decide which one to keep? The other option I have is the DCH6416, which I haven't returned yet to TWC. It has a...
Really? No opinions or advice??
I recently called TWC because the audio was intermittently dropping out for a second or two while I was watching TV. I've also noticed in the past when I'm watching a movie I've recorded on my DVR that there will be glitches in the movie - exactly like when you're watching a scratched DVD or Blu-ray disc. My current HDTV DVR is a Motorola DCH3416. The guy brought me a somewhat trashed DCX3400 which I instantly didn't like due to it's non-conventional size and shape (the...
Problem with 3D display Last night I tried to watch a 3D movie using my Yahmaha BD-a1010 Blu-ray player and my Sony HX909. For some reason, the only things that would appear in 3D were the menus - all film content, including 3D trailers and the film itself, only showed up in 2D. I hadn't changed a thing since the last time I successfully watched a 3D movie - same settings, same cable, etc. I tried adjusting settings on both the TV and the Blu-ray player but nothing...