or Connect

Posts by raus

One can probably overcome that using a computer
We all love DRM
Nope : www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d800bUnfortunately, we have to wait (though, 4K support is necessary only for real pro filmmakers, but they definitely have to think about proper resolution in advance)
Well, maybe it's going to be better with the new Nikons (D4 and D800) which output uncompressed signal for external recorders. And I think the major problem with DSLRs is that they don't support 4K (yet) so are a little unsuitable for cinema movies (in 2 years probably 4K projectors are going to be at least common if not popular)
First the source material - it's just an archive with jpeg2000 frames, no motion extensions like in mpeg4. Secondly the hardware - for security reasons AFAIK there must be an external decoder card which gets the encrypted images, internally decrypts them, render (just single frames, 24 per second), decrypts (for server-projector link) and passes on.
Apart from color space and a few pixels (for 2K, not 4K of course), there is no great difference, DCI files are just treated as series of single frames, while on BD they are treated as a film so some frames do not contain the whole information (while each and every DCI frame can be viewed separately, as a jpeg2000 file) and that's why they are smaller, not because there is an abyss in quality between them. I think that a 250 GB DCI movie could be compressed to some 130-150...
And how does it answer my (in fact practical) question - what if i generate my own pair of private and public "DCI server" keys (not necessarily generated with certificate of DCI equipment producers) and ask for key file for my "server". Will I get a KDM for that or do they have a whitelist of trusted server producers for whom they only generate keys?
By the way - do the studios have some kind of whitelist of trusted server providers or one can send them any server certificate/public key and they will send the key message for that one? If so, it shouldn't be a great problem to recover the main film (dcp) key having (our own) "server" private key.
OK but DCI-compliant devices must have completely closed data path (and can't compromise the film key or server private key, both of which can be used to decrypt data) so to put any filter on the image (decrypted) you must have access to it so in fact you can copy it which is avoided by DCI specs (though it's all based on trust so if you get KDM on your own pair of keys, the movie is yours ). The server shouldn't give out unencrypted signal cause it breaks the "trust" and...
How do you add effects to DCI data? Doesn't the spec say that there should be no changes to DCI signal otherwise the system is not "kosher"?BTW, how is the IMB more secure than encryption in server and decryption in projector? If IMB has insecure outputs (and the spec says that it may have as long as it is inside), these can be easili eavesdropped, can't they?