or Connect

Posts by 500GB

Wolfereeno, I've often wondered the exact same thing. I was interested in Atlantic Technology's FS-5000 passive soundbar. It sports two 4.5-inch drivers and one tweeter for each of three channels. But at $1700? For that kind of cash, I could buy three ZVOX 580 powered soundbars (a far more flexible item in my view) and have $200 left over. I also prefer using a soundbar for casual TV viewing, so I can save my 5.1-channel system for more serious uses (e.g., movies). I...
Hi Folks: I'm currently using a DirecTV HR24 DVR for my time-shifting, but will soon have a Verizon (Motorola) QIP7232 DVR (don't tell DirecTV!). DVRs in general take more or less forever to change channels, presumably to set up buffering for the new channel. Most of us have been told that, in order to get faster channel-changes, you should set the DVR to output a FIXED resolution (say, 1080i) and avoid using "native". So, here's my question: WHY wouldn't it take...
As far as I know, when you make a digital audio connection between two devices, it's important that the receiving device is able to "handle" the digital format sent by the source device. For example, if your set-top box is sending PCM 2.0 (i.e., digital stereo). ANY soundbar with a digital input should be compatible with that signal. If however, the box is set to output Dolby Digital (5.1 multichannel) and your soundbar doesn't do that format, then you'll either get...
I'd like to chime in on Philip's questions a few posts ago, and Kilgire777's responses. pmcd: Do the ZVOX units sound different if the TV is not sitting on them? For example, could they be on a shelf under the TV (the TV is living on a stand with 2 glass shelves under it). Kilgore777: Where you position it will change the way it sounds. High end is very directional, so the further away it is from "ear-shot", the less you will hear. Since bass is omni-directional,...
Hi Folks - I (an admitted audio fussbudget) have recent experience with both the ZVOX 555 (installed one at my brother's house) and the 580 (installed one at my home). I've had the 580 for 2 weeks now, and can make some preliminary comments. I have it connected using two inputs; The analog in-1 is fed by my DirecTV HR24 DVR, and the optical digital input is connected to my Panasonic TC-P46S30 TV. Why twice, you ask? I use the analog connection to allow insertion of a...