or Connect

Posts by opteron1944

So the other day I am telling my wife that the BDP-80 has this great feature that allows for the repositioning of subtitles. She is duly impressed. (I assumed that this only referred to HDTV's and that my CRT would be immune. Not so, as I quickly learned.) A couple of days later we put on the "Paris" DVD and found that the subtitles were missing. I was annoyed because we had watched other films and the subtitles showed up just fine. After much cursing, I gave up...
Actually, I've been somewhat surprised by the level of anger at Emotiva that is continually expressed here. I have both a UPA-2 and an XPA-3 amplifer and have been deluighted with the performance and reliability of these pieces. I tried their CD player, but found that I wasn't happy with its sound in my system and ended up returning it. Over the last couple of years, I have found their staff unfailingly courteous, helpful and willing to take extra time to discuss what...
Bread29, I use my system more for 2 channel than I do for video and the Emotiva amps have proven to be a wonderful upgrade for me. The soundstage is wide, deep and high on those recordings that are appropriately engineered. I should also point out that vintage Klipsch speakers are frequently reported to be "bright". I have no problem with this characteristic in my room and find the detailing and accuracy in reproducing the choirs in the orchestra to be eminently...
Actually, Dabi, I got onto this thread because I was thinking of finally going to a new TV and wanted to see what owners' reactions were. I guess I've found out... I do agree with you about the CRT. I have a 32" Sony Wega and the blacks have been true and there is no movement smearing at all. Colors (via component) from Direct TV and my new Oppo BDP-80 are vibrant and quite realistic. While I would love to have a big screen and realize all of the visual benefits, I...
Hello Soto, I had an Emo UPA-2 doing my fronts (Klipsch KG-4) while an Acurus 3 x 100 did the backs (Acculine A-1) and center (Emo ERM-1). When the Acurus developed a whine, I found the XPA-3 was on sale and got it. It now drives the fronts and center, while the UPA-2 moved to do the rears. While the UPA-2 had been a good upgrade over the old Parasound I had been using, I found the XPA-3 to be a dramatic change. The soundstage became almost "holographic" and...
Well, after seeing a few folks getting the same mysterious messages and reading the message from Cathy, I, for one, am inclined to take them at their word. Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, I frankly admit to being the satisfied owner of an XPA-3, a UPA-2 and an ERM-1 center channel. Thanks for your input, penngray.
Since I am wait-listed for a UMC-1, I have a more than theoretical interest in what is going on with that unit, which is why I am following discussions here as well as there. Here are my few cents to add to the pot: 1. I am surprised that anyone would ascribe an ulterior motive to Emotiva staff encouraging UMC-1 owners with problems to call Tech Support directly. I haven't had that many reasons to call them, but when I have, I have found them to be exceptionally...
At some point, I may try and see what happens with Blu-Ray using my present setup . But, honestly, given the necessarily low resolution, I doubt the result would be worth the rental fee. On the other hand, reading the complaints here aobut rising black levels, buzzing, smeared movement, juddering, etc., I have only a few regrets about pushing back the purchase. Of course, what I was trying to get across was that, as I'm sure Mike can attest, the BDP-80 is a good way...
I am pleased to report that Amazon made short work of getting me my BDP-80. The snow jamming the streets in Center City Philadelphia slowed down UPS, but I only lost a day. This was a "defensive" purchase, since I wanted to make sure that the restrictive Blu-Ray rules going into effect at the end of this year (and then HDMI only for 2013) had only a minimal effect on me going forward. Unlike most of you, I am still stuck with S-Video going into my Sony CRT, since the...
Oh, man! I didn't know anything about that technology until your comment and I don't know whether to thank you. The worst thing about technology is that it's invariably improving the most just as you finally get off the fence and complete your purchase. I'll be waiting along with you - hoping that my CRT lasts long enough for this to actually become an affordable reality. Thanks ?!?!