or Connect

Posts by HTPC4Ever

No they don't. The vast majority a vla, why would they? Since 1989 I've never seen one person in a company using a server as a desktop. I've read where tons of people on the net use win server as a desktop... but even those people now understand that there is very little benefit since win 7 is just as good (without the headache). There are some benefits of using a server as a desktop, but don't expect it to work like a consumer sku. To say it is "easy" to setup for...
Bit defender free works with whs... although, it is on demand... which might be all you need. If you are scanning your whs, more than likely you had an issue on another machine. I never download directly to my whs... you could though...
What software do you need to install on a storage server that you can't install on whs? Just wondering... Also, do you have a list of wondering things 2008r2 can do above that of whs... I have 2008r2, I'd be interested to see in what areas whs is so limited. When I wanted to use my whs as a "print server", I did not have much trouble... although, I eventually killed the install and picked up a proper external print server since it made more sense. Even when I had a...
I don't think it is the case of them wanting us to buy more computers... if that were the case, we would still have a separate sku for windows media center. They don't so you "could" use your laptop or desktop as a htpc. whs is meant to be for storage... I would not want my whs attempting to do everything under the sun... Not sure I'd want all those HDs in my living room... sure you could put it behind a wall, in most instances. I like keeping them separate. But...
Trust me, I don't want to talk to those people if you reference them with what you are typing. You need some new people in the know. Not really... if you are an enthusiast, then having a backup is a way for you to get your data back.... in case, as you state, you don't have an upgrade path. You won't have to worry about that, but since you believe you will, you should have another plan. No big deal... it is the kind of stuff we go through pushing products and such. ...
Actually, in some cases, you can't even argue that whs is better than a nas... obviously, you have not looked at the market lately. Anyway, as I stated, whs is modified... it makes little sense to call it stripped down. But *you* can... lol... same as you stating it can't be used with a monitor... oh, yea, many have already used whs with a monitor.
People in the know? I don't think so... At any rate, as I stated, officially we don't know yet. My bet is their will be an upgrade for the reasons I stated before. Of course, none of your programs would stay (not a true "upgrade" in that sense). If you have 16tb of data, hopefully you have a backup. If your whs is stolen or something else happens. That is why I'm not worried. Really... if someone has built a whs with 16 tb of data, they should know what they are...
That is funny, I've built several whs machines. Give it up already... it is not stripped down... it is modified. It is silly to call it stripped down. You don't add it to a domain because it is silly to add it to a domain for a regular home user. I've built a network in my house all through the 90s and beyond and a domain was not needed. Not needed now... unless you are testing or working on exams. Maybe even a special project here and there...But is it setup right? ...
Considering you don't know what whs connector does, that is some assumption. I'd say there will be an upgrade path since the whs OS and data are on separate partitions. Truth is no one knows...OP: I'd go with whs... you can buy a whs from bestbuy, sure... but I've built all of mine. I've installed and used several windows servers over the years. WHS allows you to enjoy your data instead of "managing" another computer. That is what I like... I have win server 2008 r2...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0848&name=64GB Where is your Visa card? Guess you have not looked at the prices recently... they are dropping fast. I need at least 160 gb for around $100. Yea, I have a while to wait. The tech needs to mature a bit more for me... but I think it is "there" and would not have an issue with recommending it to someone where it makes sense. Right now, I've not found a build where an ssd makes sense. I thought about one when I needed...