or Connect

Posts by ECS01

Well.. I hate to say it, but after several years of excellent service (and one new drive) I'm going to say goodbye to the BDP-09FD. I'm splitting up the HT and Stereo, so I sold my Classe SSP 600. This means I no longer need the excellent analog section that makes the 09FD so outstanding. I've replaced the Classe with an Oppo to do the processing for the TV/Xbox/BR. I think the performance overall is pretty similar actually, but I get to simplify by removing the...
Well, I bought it used, so it wasn't quite so bad.. but yeah, it was still more than the Pioneer MSRP.. If you could hear the two side by side, I have no doubt you'd be able to hear the difference - it's not subtle. If the difference would be worth the cost for you would certainly be up to you to decide.. I thought it was. However, I suspect that nobody here on the BDP-09FD forum wants to read my opinion on dedicated CD players and perceived value any more than anyone...
No problem, I'm using a Simaudio Supernova CD player right now for CD duty. The downside of that is that it's a fairly expensive single-function box. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the 09FD and the Oppo aren't good - they definitely are. In fact, for the money and with all the other formats they handle, they are probably the better overall deal.. However, for strictly CD use (IMHO and in my system), the Simaudio unit still clearly sounds better.
wow.. didn't mean to get everyone all riled up! Perhaps I should restate the question - has anyone replaced a pre-pro/player combo with the new Oppo 105D by itself? And if so, what did you think of the results.. For whatever it's worth, my impressions of the 105D direct compared to the 09FD through the Classe, were that the pic on blu-ray was a bit nicer with the Darbee processing (don't ask me what it does, I have no idea.. ) but it certainly wasn't enough for ME to...
Well I almost hate to say it, but it might be time for me to find a new home for my BDP-09.... Not because I've found a better BR/CD player, but I think might be able to downsize my system a bit if I replace my Classe pre/pro, and the Pioneer 09FD, with that new Oppo player that has the digital inputs... I'm just nervous to take the plunge and sell them because, as a pair, the analog outputs from the Pioneer into that Classe SSP600 is a pretty awesome combo. Has anyone...
Congrats discodol! Happy to hear of your success - it makes me want to sub in a P7 more than before if I could just find a good deal on a used one somewhere...
Thanks, that all makes sense.. I've just always wondered how well it would work, but never have seen/heard of anyone actually trying it.. Maybe if I'm ever desperate to spend enough $$ to get a second matching W5 I'll give it a shot one of these days.. Like you said, they hold resale pretty well, so if it didn't work out at least I wouldn't have to take too much of a loss on the experiment..
AVfile - That's good news, although I'm not sure I could afford to upgrade to something I'd like better at this point... Plus I'm still pretty happy with the way the W5 is working for me. I'm curious if you ever considered bridging the W5 you had to a "monoblock" config and getting another..... I've not heard of many folks doing that although I know it's possible. Perhaps it works better as a stereo amp and something gets lost by bridging it? I'd certainly consider...
Thanks for the info, I'll take a look over there BTW I agree with you on Sim's pricing lately.. I love the stuff, but it's getting crazy. No way I could ever afford any of the new gear now. I looked into Bryston stuff very closely, and liked it a lot, but I got a good deal on a nice W5 and that put me on the Sim path - for the time being at least.
wow.. not a lot of action around here.. I guess I won't be holding my breath for input on the P7 questions.. Anyone there?