or Connect

Posts by hydrogin

I personally haven't had any problems updating FW via the internet. It's been awhile, but I believe I've done it twice now for my BD85. Also no problems doing FW updates for my Panny G20 plasma via internet although I've read a few posts about people having update issues with their plasmas. I usually check to make sure my internet connection is working before attempting an update (although I suspect the FW updater already checks for connectivity health before starting)....
+1 Has been very reliable. On the whole, Panasonic brand electronics have served me well. Even their steam irons are great!
I've never used Any Video Converter so can't comment on it. But in any transcoding process, there are a lot of details that could have produced "poor" results. FLV is just a container that can hold audio and video that's been compressed with any number of codecs. Even though FLV is an older container, I believe it can hold videos compressed with the H.264 codec ... which is a modern codec that produces relatively high compression for the same video quality. But FLV can...
One option would be to transcode to a different "format" and hope any incompatibilities get washed away in the conversion. Handbrake is a relatively easy-to-use no-cost transcoder that runs under Windows, Mac OS, and Ubuntu. There are lots of user options, however, so Google around for a tutorial. Handbrake's GUI has a batch mode option so if you have a lot of files to transcode, you can queue them up and let it run overnight. Other folks may point you to different...
Tesla is correct. The Ethernet port on the G20/25 is only used for connecting to the external internet, not your home LAN. So, you can access Panasonic's servers to dload firrmware updates and to run Vieracast applications (e.g. Pandora, Netflix). But there is no support for any kind of filesharing protocol over your local LAN (e.g. DLNA/UPNP or SMB/CIFS).What I do is attach a WDTV to my G20 to watch media residing on my Synology NAS. You could do the same with a media box...
Speaking of KEYT, now that the station has been sold by Smith Broadcasting to News Press & Gazette Co (no relation to the horrible Santa Barbara News Press) it looks like KEYT will finally be using HD cameras in their news broadcasts: http://www.noozhawk.com/article/santa_barbara_keyt_news_owners_plan_expansion_rebranding/
^^^ I know some EU models can record, but I wasn't aware US models could record to USB! What menu functions allow this and what container formats are used for the resulting video?
My BDP-85 also reports 1.60 is the latest FW version. But if you click my signature, there was a 1.62 released a few months ago: Model Number DMP-BD85P/PC Update Version Ver 1.62 Update File Name / Size North America/Latin America UPDATE_BD85P_V162.exe / 46,390,992 bytes Update Date 2012/9/18 I haven't been in this forum for quite some time so not sure what 1.62 is all about. Somehow, I doubt FW is the issue unless it somehow got corrupted during the move. FW is...
But it's interesting how the Comcast press release mentions Santa Barbara (probably means the county). That's why I was guessing X1 is an internet-based service. I did a little Googling and some refer to X1 as IPTV, another indicator it's internet-based. If that's really true, then my question would be whether X1 is available only to Comcast customers or also to others with different Internet Service Providers.
Comcast in Santa Barbara? Since Cox has the local monopoly for CATV, I'm assuming X1 is an internet-based service using a Comcast set-top box ... sort of like using Cox internet as the delivery infrastructure and having a WDTV or Roku box to access programming provided by Netflix. Only in this case X1 customers in Santa Barbara would use a Comcast box. Is this very far off the mark? Or is X1 really a CATV service?