or Connect

Posts by c3hammer

I have been using both the Hero2 and a newer Hero3 Black for a year or so now. The Hero2 was flawless and I never had one single issue with it. I have had a few lockups with the Hero3 Black that forces you to pull the battery to get it back. Pretty frustrating. The image capibility of the new Hero3 Black can be astonishing though. 1080-60p and 2.7k 30p can give about 35mbps data rate. A bit higher with Protune enabled. Here's a couple of my samples with my new...
Another interesting camera for this could be the new GoPro Hero3 Black Edition. It does 1440p-48, 1080p-60, 960p-100, 720p-120 and WVGA-240 !!! If you have a simple tripod and the 1/4-20 mount it could be a perfect tool to watch via wireless to your smart phone right there on the spot. I have a Panasonic TM700 that does pretty awesome 1080-60p, but it's nothing like the video you showed above. Definitely need some higher frame rates to get what your looking for...
What is everyone's experience with Panasonics service for repairs? Seems like I've read about some nightmares, but I can't seem to find them in short order. I scratched the lens badly on my TM700 and would like to have the outer glass replaced. It looks like a $18 part, but you have to break down the whole cam to get to it. Curious if I should send it it Texas to the service center or have the local repair shop dig into...
Talk about resurrecting an ancient post Was refering to the lenses that would be required to cover a camcorders range of 24mm - 690mm like a TM700. On a DSLR that range of lenses would be expensive no matter what vintage you buy Cheers, Pete
While the GH2 is capible of truly incredible image quality, it's orders of magnitude more difficult to acheive. In general the camcorders are optimized for a very wide latitude of shooting situations and provide ease of operation that is just not part of the DSLR relm. As others have said, opening the dslr can of worms can be a nightmare unless you have very deep pockets and very thick skin. The learning curve is quite steep with the dslrs and the appreciable increase...
There are a couple of issues here with pixel counts. The question should be what is the pixel density? More pixels doesn't make for better image quality in either still images or video. What gives the higher quality is the size of the sensor and lens more often than the simple raw pixel count. Canon has a few different implementations along this line of thought. The DSLR's with up to 1.38", 18 and 21 mp sensors skip lines and process down that monster sensor size to...
Sorry Chevypower, I missed your point originally here as it wasn't directed at the OP as I had misread it to be. For the OP, my point, just to be clear is that with modern HD glass, even in the less expensive consumer camcorders you can get a higher quality image at in narrower field of view (more zoom = longer focal length) than you can with any SD glass Cheers, Pete
Every modern flagship HD consumer camcorder lens! There's a reason those older lenses have nearly zero value right now. They can only be used for SD video as the glass particle size is too large for the number of pixels. If you try to adapt them to an HD cam it is like filming through a jar of marbles that creates a spherical looking pixel with a chromatic halo. Obviously that's an exaggeration, but still the reason Canon didn't bring that glass along for the ride with...
Chevypower, you're missing the point that the glass in HD camcorders is much better than SD. That is what has allowed them to get HD out of the same size sensor. The pixel quality is better now with the same size sensor. The image processing of more pixels on a sensor is faster and more accurate. All of these add up to a higher image quality for a given field of view regardless of what you call it. In the end of the day a modern HD camcorder digitally zoomed will...
Forget the SD camcorders. Just get a decent HD camcorder with 12-18x optical zoom. Then zoom in digitally from there until the quality goes down to the level of an SD camcorder. It will be similar quality and zoom factor in the end of the day. The lenses on the HD camcorders are just that much better than the SD variants that have those crazy optical zoom functions. You'll end up with better quality video. On a side note, once you see the image quality of HD you...