or Connect

Posts by DrNegative

I have personally tested the HD20 against a monitor with a fast response time and got nill on the measurements, posted the pics in the HD20 thread some time ago. I have never seen nor heard of a test of the HD33, do you have the links to this test/pictures? I might perform it myself with a CRT.
I usually play first and third person shooters on my projector. At first on my old Optoma HD20, now the HD3300. Zero input lag from either of them.
I think you will be impressed with the HD33 as a whole. As for uniformity, it has never been an issue for me personally on the HD3300 (looks perfect corner to corner on 150" screen), and seems to be a tad better than my HD20 over the entire range, though the HD20 didn't look bad either.
I agree, "black just looks badder". To each his own I guess. Honestly though, selling the idea of a front projector to my wife wasn't in its color, but overcoming her initial objections of the 11' wide screen I slammed on the wall.Non taken lol. You do make some interesting points to which I hadn't thought of.
I believe it only covers premature failure and/or manufacturer defects. Natural decay of the lumens due to age would be a tough one to sell to them if a person were to try. They can also see how hard you have been pushing it within the service menu, including improper shutdowns.
For my old HD20, out-of-warranty costs to replace a faulty control board is around $500, a color wheel sensor or wheel is around $300 (None of which includes shipping which is your dime as well). I am sure an HD33 would be similar. So you could look at it from that angle. By the way, maybe it is just me, but why all the hate on black from most buyers? Seems a lot of people thinks it looks ugly on the HD3300 but isn't that the standard color for home theater electronics?...
Just curious, I am assuming it is software correction? What scale of shift are we talking here, full pixel, half pixel, etc?
It was to my understanding that most modern projector bulbs do not fall in brightness over time in a linear fashion. They tend to fall sharply after the first 500 hr burn-in, then somewhat plateau for the majority of their life-span, before finally tanking at or near the end.
Considering that out of warranty repair/lamp costs on projectors can easily surpass that at times, personally I feel the difference is well worth it on that fact alone, even ignoring the slightly beefed up specs.
Actually, TI claims to have performed that test as well. They never published the white-paper on it though, or at least I can't find it.