or Connect

Posts by 16x9rochester

The ROC/UHF agreement ends at the moment it begins with WHAM. I see they will do this transition on new years eve, though I'll bet the actual switch over will happen sometime overnight or early morning, as the transmitter control will have a hot switch from one buildings control (on Humboldt) to another (on West Henrietta Road). It will be a little weird because on Dec. 31st you will see Fox Rochester News from the Channel 8 on-air people, with their news set, and the...
Actually it's not HD, it's SD Widescreen, (and some of it is a bit rough looking due to up-res). HD will most likely follow at some point in the next several months.No HD promos or commercials yet, basically just the first step.
Rumors were it would be sometime in 2013....but who knows. As to the reason they haven't switched yet......it's always about money. Their owner apparently don't want to spend it. They've got to be one of the last stations in their market size to not upgrade.
WHAM actually started with syndicated shows and local commercials in HD within the last week. Rochester's first HD commercials are just starting to play.......finally.....in late 2012. Still not seeing any on WROC or WUHF, only syndication.
They are still with Syracuse until the sale completes at the first of the year. They are in the process of building a new Master control now so they can be independent when they cut the fiber. We should see both syndication and commercials in HD sometime after that...but I can't say when. Still no HD live shots for a while though. They're just doing anamorphic squeezed SD when feeding back microwave signals from trucks that are still SD.For what it's worth, ABC News...
Yes, WHAM was one of the first in the country to be part of the experiment by their then new owners Ackerley Corp. It started in sept 1999. They connect stations in a group together via fiber that lets them feed non-local programming from a central location, all switched with automation computers, usually just one guy monitoring multiple stations feeds. For the NY State group the central location is WSYR in Syracuse. The local stations simply receive the switched feed of...
Yes, KBW will need HD camera (and tons of other categories of) equipment to do news in HD. Since they are announcing an HD newscast, I think it's safe to assume that they've done that. I'm sure their AM Buffalo show will also be HD, as it's basically "the news" at a different time with different content. Same studio, same internal production. Yes, as I mentioned above the other stations have been outsourcing their master control. WKBW will now start doing that as well...
I actually thought Channel 2 would be first, since they are almost there now anyway with their anamorphic SD news inside the HD "shell".Actually, as bad as they were from organized labor's point of view, it seems they were they only station (of the big three) in town to still have a master control staff. But they are now getting rid of them in favor of outsourced master control, and perhaps the savings of 10 jobs gave them some financial incentive to invest in the HD...
In this case, as is the case for WGRZ, and WIVB, WKBW will be outsourcing master control....thus they need very little infrastructure upgrade to play HD syndicated programs or even HD commercials. They just need to do business with an outsourced company that can accept their HD programing (Shows, commercials, etc) and feed it back to them via fiber in HD. Most likely this will be the case, but not immediately. Their loss of master control (which they say puts 10 people...
I'm going to paste my answer from a few months back when you asked about wuhf, except I've changed the station involved Different station, same reason:WIVB is simply protecting it's advertisers. They don't want viewers in the Buffalo market (including Batavia) to have access to an alternate CBS broadcast from Rochester. Because then Buffalo viewers of CBS broadcasts are no longer seeing Buffalo ads that advertisers have paid WIVB to be seen by Buffalo area CBS...