or Connect

Posts by Scalarscience

I'm, in!
Honestly the real goal is to make the best creative use of whatever I get...what I choose just obviously gives me the limits I work with. Of course I understand (given that this is a camcorders forum I'm in atm) that the GH1 fits a 'camcorder' role more closely since it's got the iA/IS features comparable to the T700 etc. However this is also about a 'starting point' for some of the projects I have in mind, and I do think that static composed shots from a Canon (where I...
Really thinking about a T2i/55D and scaling up from there later. 7D with adequate lenses & a backup battery etc will just eat too much of my budget, and the DMC-GH1 isn't a *huge* savings plus the viewfinder/non true DSLR aspects are a bit off putting.
I'd have to say I'm being persuaded away from the TM700 & etc by videos like this: http://vimeo.com/1420964 his accompanying text is here: http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/12/12/...d-canon-dslrs/ At least for the uses I have in mind even the 12min recording limit for the 7D @ 1080 wouldn't matter much. It's more about the differences between the Canon T2i, Panasonic DMC-GH1 & Canon 7D. GH1 seems like it's more suited to video but I don't know anything about panasonic...
I'm actually starting to lean this direction more now. I would rather compose shorter interesting stills with dof & etc than longer action & autofocus shots. While I don't expect cinematic results without a large investment overall in kit, I think that the shots I could achieve will be overall more useful for my purposes. (can't post url's with my post count yet...more in next post.)
Actually while I am sitting here, it occurs to me that it's worth mentioning I've also debated getting the Canon EOS 550D or a 1080p capable DSLR. The problem there is that with 1-2 decent lenses I would also quickly run up a bill of accessories. At that price there's the new Sony camcorder with interchangeable lenses (and close to the Canon EOS 7D cost.) Here's a different tact then on the overall question, help me decide if there's a model in the Sony/Panasonic range...
I'm looking for a camcorder that can provide 1080 (pref 1080p) quality video, decent low light performance, probiably will get some use at music events so grain is probably a concern as well as white balance in dark conditions. On the 'upper' side of what I'd looked at so far was the Sony HDR-CX550V & Panasonic HDC-TM700K. Both are within 50-100 of each other most places I look. Amazon noticed I was looking and also offered me a full spread of Panasonic models...