or Connect

Posts by CRTFTW

Well, turns out the 9A65 is mostly a success. 720p and 1080i display great: the colors are very accurate, and the black levels are still very good (I'll have to play some more to see if there is any loss there, but if there is its very slight). The strange thing is that I have to set it to composite sync (RGBS). In RGBHV, the top 10th of the screen is literally looks like it's been twisted (it gets progressively narrow in one spot, then returns to normal size at the very...
From what I've read in digging through these forums, is that all the Sony tube HDTV's display everything in 1080i/540p. In 480p, they just display every line on a 540p image and zoom in a little. In 720p they have to downscale to 1080i. 480i, they line double for 480p.
In 480p, yes. I think they do all the stretching digitally, so it takes processing time. Normal (4:3) seemed to have less lag than full. It wasn't enough to make Mario Galaxy unplayable, but it was for Wipeout Pulse on PS2.
That's the only mode I know that has zero lag. What I have noticed is that in 480p, stretched (16:9) adds quite a bit of lag over 4:3 mode, enough to make games I played on an SD CRT without lag unenjoyable. 4:3 in 480p has very little lag from what I can remember. Never played on 720p enough to give you an idea on that..I have one of the cheaper Hi-scan models, though I'm pretty sure they use a lot of the same electronics. Was kind of disappointed when I found all this...
I've also considered getting the HDfury HDMI>RGBHV transcoder. The things holding me back are: I don't know how the picture quality stacks up to the pure analog conversions of YPbPr to RGBHV, how much delay there is in the signal processing, and if there are any differences in that timing between revisions of the HDfury (important for games). Definitely important to me though because I have three quality CRT's that can hit at least 1920X1440, with two of them waiting in...
Thanks for telling me about the RTC2200 draganm! That looks exactly like what I need. The gamma correction should make it compatible with any 720p or 1080p device I come across in the future. Definitely bookmarked. Will still get the AA transcoder because I can get it for really cheap. If it doesn't work I'll be able resell for a little more. I'll post what it looks like here. Will still end up getting the RTC2200 to guarantee compatibility into the future though.
Thanks for the response curt, but if you look at the 9A65, it really appears like it was designed for 720p and 1080i. If you look at the front right there are LED's for those resolutions:Are you sure you're not confusing it with the 9A62? Or are you saying they're both pretty terrible with HD?
So right now I have Audio Authority's oldest component transcoder, the 9A62: http://www.audioauthority.com/techdocs/9a62752367.pdf - It was marketed for 480p use only, though some have reported success with HD resolutions It works really well for 480p sources. On my multisync CRT monitor it maintains color and sharpness really well. When I try to go HD, though, I run into trouble. At 720p, I get a "sync out of range" message, which is strange, because my monitor can go...
Any LCD nerds want to throw me a bone? Will I damage my LCD if I remove the backlight, or are the parts usually easy to separate?
So I've noticed I really enjoy playing my old Gameboy Advance outside. On a sunny or partly cloudy day, the screen is very bright and colorful. Like all the older gameboys, it uses ambient light to illuminate the screen via a mirror under the LCD. Problem is, all my other portables are backlit (PSP, DS, 3DS etc.). And they are impossible to play outside on sunny days, you just can't see the screen. So my question is, would it possible to remove the backlight on any of...