or Connect

Posts by alainhubert

Lori Grunin, senior editor at CNET, had this to say about the TM900 in her review on 11/9/2011: "The color and exposure rendered by the three-chip system are quite good, though the automatic white balance can get a bit wonky--usually switching to another setting and then back did the trick. Aside from the white-balance issue, all the automatic settings worked very well, including exposures with backlight." So, it seems that Panasonic is still struggling to produce a...
In that video, from 2:35 to 2:41 the auto white balance is going crazy just because the sun is temporarily blocked by clouds. Just watch the first flag post on the left, and watch its color balance and saturation shift needlessly. I also saw some evidence of the "bondie blue" overcast on some shots. So as I suspected, Panasonic might have corrected a few "bugs" of the TM700, but they still have a long ways to go to get things as good as even 25 years old video cameras as...
To prove my point, I still have a 24 years old Hitachi-made RCA VHS Camcorder with a single 1/2" MOS sensor (yes, not a CCD), and it continually and automatically balances colors in any scene under 1 second, and absolutely perfectly each time. And it doesn't keep on changing it even when the lighting and the scene does not! I would have expected a 2010 HD Camcorder from Panasonic with 3 MOS sensors to be able to, at least, perform automatic color balancing as well as...
As I stated, I'm using manual white balance 99.9% of the time. And I have enough experience to know how to do it properly with a white reference. The automatic neutral density filter that comes into play when a bright outdoor scene is shot changes the overall color balance. And the color saturation is too high most of the time, relative to the filmed scene. But my main gripe is more with the dreadful automatic continuous color balance, that keeps changing even...
After a year and a half of working with my Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder, both as a photo camera and video camera, and using almost exclusively the manual mode and "manual" white balance, and having tried other more recent models from the same company also in the same price range, I've come to the conclusion that Panasonic cameras all have a serious flaw in their white balance algorithm. I've compared them with similar models from Canon, Sony, and even though the Canon...
Unfortunately, Panasonic doesn't seem to like Apple computers. So HD Writer is not available for a MAC, which is ridiculous these days with Intel processors inside them.
Yes, unfortunately. So I can only suggest that you might edit the length of your scenes before transferring them to a computer. Like I said in my last post, I hoped it would help... Concerning the fact that your camcorder keeps on recording even after you've closed the flip screen, did you make sure that the viewfinder in the back was fully pushed back ? If it's not all the way pushed and even slightly pulled it will power-on and keep the camcorder recording... Just a...
There is an easy way to "chop-off" unwanted footage without using any computer. It can be done "in camera". Just have a look at page 96 of the operating instructions manual, where it shows you how. It's relatively simple, and I've done it myself many times. You can even use this feature to split a scene into two separate scenes or, as in your case, delete the extraneous footage and keep only the first part. Hope this helps.
I've done extensive tests with mine, and it remembers the settings every single time, day after day. Even after changing the battery, or powering it with the psu, or being stored without a battery attached in a carrying case. So maybe yours has an intermittent internal memory problem? Of course, these settings only work in manual mode, and not auto. Maybe you were switching between those two modes ?
I forgot to say thank you, still, for pointing out that the sky can look bondi blue under certain polarizing filters and at different sun angles, or even different camcorder angles too, so as to differentiate it from the overall greenish color bias of the blue color affecting certain TM700 units. Informative video that demonstrates that sometimes the sky can appear to have a greenish bias, even though everything else is correctly color-balanced.