or Connect

Posts by JimWilson

I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end. Enjoy your subwoofer...
"Too big" is relative, in terms of subwoofers anyway.Having sufficient headroom -- excess capacity essentially -- will allow the sub(s) to handle the wide dynamic swings that are common in movies. Having capability in reserve is also beneficial for those who like to play at elevated volumes, so having a surplus is helpful in several regards.
Are you sure you're not wasting your breath Mark?
You're wasting your breath my friend, but I suspect you already know that...
I am, sort of; my version is called PFIY (pay for it yourself)... There are two ideas I've been toying with, experiments with the same driver/amp combo actually. However, I have zero modeling or woodworking skills so I've reached out to a few people to see if they're interested in custom designing something for me (folks like Nathan Funk, Jon Lane and Peter Selby). I envy those who have the skills, time and tools to create there own stuff. I'm simply not one of those...
Ladies and gentleman, Ape Audio is officially open for business...
You can be confident that whatever Tom is telling you is accurate. Without question, he is one of the most knowledgeable and respected people you're likely to encounter. He's not prone to hyperbole either. The XS30 is highly regarded for it's combination of output and depth, qualities that will prove extremely beneficial given your cavernous room size. For the price it's a very enticing option, something numerous people who actually own them will readily attest to.
The vast majority of the speakers that fall into this category would require a sub, so from that standpoint I think it's reasonable to allow some discussion regarding sub/sat combinations. If the needs are for a specific solution though perhaps this thread isn't the most appropriate space to have those discussions which, as you've mentioned, might be better served by a separate thread.
I've stood right in front of that thing, and it's pretty impressive for sure, but it pales in comparison to Austin's "theater of pain".