or Connect

Posts by SpellChecker

Ralph, The composer John Williams first came into my life with a literal bang with the first strains of the theme from Star Wars, back in 1977, in the original movie (when it was still called only "Star Wars"). From that moment, I've been a life-long fan. I have had the fortune to see John Williams a few times, conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in special programs featuring movie music, with one show featuring only his scores. He is truly a treasure and...
Ralph, I had never seen this movie, but being an admirer of Hitchcock and the look of his films, I thought this would be a good buy, especially after your review. What a surprise this film ended up being! It completely fulfilled my expectations as far as being a Hitchcock film, both with its style and story. But the real surprise was the quality of the picture. Stunning, breathtaking and incredible are only mild ways to describe the look of this movie. It truly...
Ralph, Yes, yes, YES! I'm so glad to read your positive review and great video score. I also have this pre-ordered - I did it the moment I found out about it - and can't wait to see it. After reading your comments, I'm now sure it'll be spectacular! I'm very curious about the 3.0 sound. Thanks to Disney for being consistent in their restorations and generous with things like including the 3.0 sound as an alternate choice.
Ralph, I finally received my copy of the film and watched it last night. I have to say that your description of the movie gave me the perfect set of expectations, which were met and surpassed. This movie was, for me, spectacular. I probably would never have bought it or paid much attention to it had it not been for your review. My reaction to your critique (before seeing the movie) had been that it seemed the film would be similar to my favorite "2001: A Space Odyssey",...
Is your Video Rating of 92 for the 3D only? If so, how would you rate the 2D version? As a personal aside, I first saw Peter Gabriel in the summer of 1980, during his tour in support of the third solo album. The concert was held in an old Chicago "theater palace" called the Uptown, which even then had fallen into some disrepair. It was a really hot night, and of course the air conditioning wasn't working. Peter had shaved his head, as did bassist/Stick player Tony...
Ralph, I had seen this title floating about, but had not looked into it at all until your review. Based on that, I decided to purchase it and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. One of my favorite films of all time is "2001: A Space Odyssey", and while many people find it slow and unwatchable, I still find it fascinating and beautiful, and I must have seen it over twenty times already. One comment many have made is that "2001" leaves people wondering what it's all...
Just to add to Ralph's reply, I did get the Ben Hur boxed set, and the blu-rays look phenomenal! One of the greatest movies ever, and they did it absolute justice. It looks better than many modern movies, with rich, vibrant color, crystal clear images and very good sound. If you love Ben Hur, it's well worth the cost.
I caught a good portion of the first two episodes on PBS, and as usual, Ken Burns puts together a fascinating documentary. I might have to pick this up on blu-ray just to see the entire thing in one or two sittings. I was surprised that many of the interview segments looked kind of bad, with poor contrast and odd coloring, whereas the archival black and white pictures, at times, were pristine and gorgeous! Luckily, there's a lot more of the archival stuff, and it...
Hi, Ralph. Although a meat loaf is usually a meal, in this case I think you meant to type "Meat Loaf Aday". "Starring: Michael Sheen, Maria Bello, Alan Tudyk, Moon Bloodgood, Austin Nichols, Kyle Gallner, Meal Loaf Aday" Just trying to keep it right!
I received my Complete Saga set on Saturday afternoon, just in time for my Saturday night movie viewing. I previewed each of the films to get an idea of the quality, and was happily surprised by how good each one looked and sounded. I too, remember my first Star Wars movie experience, which was while I was vacationing in Florida with my parents. All summer we had heard about this incredible movie, and finally caught up to it. Ralph's comments were similar to my...