or Connect

Posts by Photokid1970

I have used streaming for YouTube videos, movie trailers, etc. I haven't streamed any movies since I cancelled Netflix last year. Very few of the Netflix movies offered quality sound, even the ones marked "HD", so this makes me a huge fan of the physical disc. As [KYA]Mega mentioned above, I'm also getting increasingly annoyed at the 'mandatory' previews on discs. If you rent one from Redbox and you don't get extras and you have to watch them... ok, I get that. But if...
I don't see where anyone answered you, so I'm going to give it a shot. I mostly lurk in this forum to find out about new ways to use the features of my 809, but this is one feature I did use. (Note - past tense).If you have your HDMI cable running from the main output of the 809 to a TV input that features ARC (Audio Return Channel), then you have to turn that feature on with both the TV and the 809. To get to that feature on the 809 setup menu, you have to have HDMI...
Thanks for the reply... I did have that setting right. Still, I read a lot of other posts on here and did make some slight adjustments, but they still didn't help. BUT - I also went to the Official Onkyo TX-NR809 thread to read up on my center channel problem, and I read where the 809 added a menu option that allows you to add 5 different types of video processing! That was turned on my default, and one of the side effects was a darker picture. Sure enough, mine was...
I'm having some folks over this weekend to watch Batman BDs, so I thought I had better fine-tune my system. I re-ran the Onkyo sound calibration for the audio, then I decided to re-calibrate the display on my P65VT25. I've noticed that the picture is very dark lately, and I lose all detail in the shadows. It doesn't seem to be the Fluctuating Brightness that I'm reading about here, so I'm starting a new post before I call BB or Panasonic. Here is what I see: On the...
In my opinion, that's the best kind of 3D. You aren't waiting for the next cool effect, or saying "This scene looks flat - maybe the next one will be better" - you are just enjoying a normal movie. Then Spidey swings at you and you say "Wow!" That's a good 3D movie to me.Spider-Man was the first IMAX 3D movie that I've enjoyed, I think. Harry Potter did seem very dark, and some others had bad crosstalk. ASM really made me forget about the glasses.
I think you could classify SACD or other hi-def audio formats as niche too, and yet there is a whole forum on that topic here. However, dovercat has a good point... if 3D remains a niche product, then it may not be as successful in the long term as it would otherwise. I don't know if market dominance is required, but it would be nice if there was more than one small 3D BluRay section at Best Buy. Until then, we will have 3D content because the studios are pushing it. ...
I had an Onkyo 708, and initially had trouble getting my DirecTV receiver to show the 3D channels. After a very quick firmware update, everything began to display correctly. The only ongoing issue I have now is that the 3D signal from the TV (for the Active Shutter glasses) floods the room with IR signals. That makes it hard to use the DirecTV remote. There are other threads on here which discuss this in much better detail, but it took me a while to figure that...
It really is all about perspective. I have no misconceptions that my tiny living room can completely replicate the movie theatre experience. Overall, however, I was very pleased with the sound and the picture at home. The one area which was lacking was the 3D effect. I could see it, but it wasn't immersive. Then one night my wife was stretched out on the couch, and I didn't have a place to sit. So I got a chair and put it in front of the couch, about 5 feet closer...
I had that happen on my Onkyo 608, and it was because one of the speakers had the polarity reversed.
G-only? I can't get my Wii to see my Linksys E-3000 unless I put the 2.4 channel in mixed mode. The Nintendo channel shows were stuttering really bad when I did that. So I connected a D-Link 655 and set that at B-only. The E3000 has a 5 Ghz N-only channel and a 2.4 Ghz G-only channel. Now my 5 Ghz N-only channel is great, but my 2.4 Ghz channel suffers really bad with slow speeds. Charter came and said I shouldn't connect two wireless routers together and I should...