or Connect

Posts by diy speaker guy

Ok. I don't want to argue because I'm certainly no expert on this issue, but this raises more questions. Is this only an issue with horns? How small is too small?First, is this only an issue with horns? That last sim is a tl, so it's a lot closer to a ported box than a horn. And it's only 27 liters. I've never heard anyone complain about this issue with ported boxes or transmission lines.Second, how small is too small? The previous graph you said looked weak was...
I didn't realize we were still talking about this here, I sent you a PM. Anyway, here's something completely different. This is exactly the opposite of what you are looking for, the lowest acoustic resistance peak is very small, next one up is larger, next one up is larger still. This is a small(ish) end loaded tl with constant cross sectional area equal to Sd, ~35 hz tuning and Sd of 113 cm, line length 237.5 cm. I have no reason to believe this would not perform as...
Interesting. The acoustic impedance graph is showing throat resistance and reactance. I didn't know there was much we could do with that info. And I don't know how you are reading or interpreting it. What can you tell me about the horns that belong to these 3 acoustic impedance graphs? Which are good horns are which are bad in this context and why?
Is the issue overestimated spl or a slightly higher than expected LF corner? Like I said, I don't know anything about maxmercy's horn, and in the case of the F20 the spl was right where it was supposed to be, but the LF corner measured a bit higher than simulated.Anyway, I don't know how useful the acoustic impedance graph is in this situation, we can simulate it but we can't measure it. We CAN simulate AND measure electrical impedance though, so it's probably a much...
All the above is true, but it all applies to ideal full size horns as well as horns that are small compared to their tuning.Also, in the case of the F20 and most competently designed horns, they are simulated in 2 pi and measured outside in 2 pi so we can omit the drywall and corners from this conversation and concentrate on the difference between the 2 pi sim and the 2 pi measurement.This is all that's left. What I'm looking for is an explanation why horns that are small...
Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I'll try to be a lot more clear this time.The F20 is a valid unit for comparison, it's a large horn (but small considering it's LF corner) with a 2.9:1 compression ratio. It's low corner measured a couple hz higher than the simulation suggested. I can verify the sim is very accurate. IF the cause of this phenomenon was compression, then it's valid to be concerned. But I don't think it's an compression issue, even the 1w measurement...
I've never heard of this rule of thumb and I don't agree.Until you get up into very high pressures (loud volume) the compression ratio isn't really a concern at all. And even at 3.4:1, there isn't going to be a whole lot of pressure at full power.The throat aspect ratio is probably a bigger deal than the compression ratio, and the aspect ratio is high but it's not obscenely high.Overall, I don't see any glaring issues with the throat area.As far as larger drivers and...
Just to be more clear, here's a few pics. Graph 1 - combined response +300 cm Graph 2 - combined response 0 cm Graph 3 - combined response -300 cm So if you built this, laid it out flat on the ground and measured from different locations in relation to the sub, this is what you would get from the terminus end, the middle and the driver end. As you walk around the sub you would get VERY different response due to the driver and terminus being so far apart. Put it in a...
That's terminus output alone. You have to do combined response to see actual response.BUT with these sonotube transmission lines that have the driver and port so far apart the actual response at any given position could be anywhere between the combined response with 0 path length difference (which only applies if you measure from a spot equidistant from both ends) or the response on the terminus end (as you showed) or the response at the driver end (which is significantly...
I can probably help you out with whatever you want to see. Just point me to the Hornresp inputs for the design you want to see analysed and I'll run it through Akabak. And let me know where in the horn you want to see the velocity.Just FYI, LTD02's graph isn't showing velocity at the throat, even though the graph is labelled "Horn Throat Peak Particle Velocity". In a tapped horn (and also in offset driver front loaded horns) the throat is at S1, and S1 in a tapped horn...