or Connect

Posts by diy speaker guy

As of Nov. 30 (just a couple of days ago), Hornresp can show velocity at the throat and the mouth. From the Hornresp thread at diyaudio:There's other neat changes as well for Hornresp fans recently.And if you want to see velocity at other points in the horn Akabak can show velocity at any node. You can put a node in any spot you like if you want to check things out at that particular place.
Well, congrats on the baby. And being out of jail, I guess. I have to admit your threads are always very interesting.
The Hornresp screenshot in post #1 comes from here - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/174926-tuba-vs-taphorn-2.html#post2327768The drawings (everything except the Hornresp screenshot in post #1) comes from here - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/174926-tuba-vs-taphorn-6.html#post2334761The Hornresp screenshot and the drawings do not match. The drawings are an updated design and as you can see from the pic you posted in post #2, the updated design has...
As drawn, S1 and S2 can't both be 300. If S1 is 300 then S2 should be 411.77. (Change S2 from manual to auto to preserve the taper and S2 changes to 411.77.)This makes a rather large difference.
From Danley's Labhorn notes:He's talking about the horn width there but the same thing applies to the segment lengths when there are parallel walls on each end. The longest a physical segment with parallel walls at each end can be before risking notches in response is about 3 feet. Any longer than that and you could get notches in response down into a typical subwoofer's passband.For the record, I agree with Ricci. There's nothing I hate more than dead space. It means...
I think you misread the intentions. What you call negativity I call a study on the physics of the design and horns in general. No one ever said the tht was a bad design, the only issue was the claims that are made about it (including the no hpf required and boosting below tuning among other things).My exact quote on the topic of your probable first impressions was this:Congratulations on your first horn. I suspect it won't be your last. Horns are fun.
Rereading this (and paying more attention as I should have the first time around) if it measured flat to 20 hz there's no need to resim anything for the purpose of including a hpf to the sim. 20 hz is outside the passband, below the LF knee. (For some reason I originally read this as hpf at 20 hz, not measured flat to 20 hz. If it measures flat to 20 hz any hpf that's in there is set quite a bit lower than 20 hz.)Thanks again.
Thanks, I did forget about REW an spent a good 10 hours or more trying to make overlays in various ways and I did get a couple different methods working but I wasn't happy with the results. Lilmike did remind me of REW but at that point I was already done and burned out on this whole subject. Maybe at some point I'll do some overlays and add them to the original posts but at this point I don't even want to look at any graphs anymore for awhile, I spent a long time on this.
The event that specifically started this was your overlay of a sim (that had an inaccurately high LF corner to start with IMO - my own sim was tuned a couple hz lower than yours) and a measurement showing 2 or maybe 3 hz difference in the LF corner. I speculated that the difference might be due to folding method. That's what we were talking about.Stop looking at the overlay, look at figure 10 showing both pics side by side. There is clearly a 1 hz difference in the LF...
Thanks, this is what I was hoping to hear. Maybe later I'll sim the F20 with a hpf at 20 hz and see what happens