or Connect

Posts by diy speaker guy

I thought I was pretty clear about this. The difference is subtle, it's only an 18.6 cm difference in the path length. The longer path (centerline method) has a slightly lower tuning. It's subtle but you can see it, you didn't need to overlay to see it - in fact overlaying makes it a lot harder to see the difference because it just looks like a thicker line at the LF knee where the difference matters the most. Here's my exact quote on this matter.The bigger problem...
Well that does change things. He didn't mention it and I never thought to ask. Thanks for pointing it out.I can add active filters to my simulations easily if lilmike tells me what frequency and slope to set it at. But if there's boost involved that's going to be a bit more tricky.The Ultimax measurements definitely did not use the BASH amp but I don't know anything about the iNuke DSP 3000 amp other than the fact that the name suggests DSP is possible.Anyway, this is...
I did a small study on the centerline vs advanced centerline issue, so for those that wanted more info on the subject here it is. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489784/horn-folding-a-brief-study-of-the-centerline-vs-advanced-centerline-method
Well yeah, you can come pretty close with approximations. I proved that in the thread that started this when I simulated a popular horn as a single CON segment. All I had to go on when reverse engineering that one was a pic of the exterior (basically just showing external dimensions and the size of the mouth) and the driver specs. I got extremely close to measured results.The whole point of this study though, was to find out which method is better and why.I'm really...
Well I certainly hope not, otherwise this was a massive waste of time. But I'm guessing no. I'm sure he would have mentioned that at some point. Also, the measurement with the MFW driver and the measurement with the Ultimax driver both match the sims fairly well and they were measured at different times in different places. I don't think he even owns the F20 with the Ultimax driver.So no. I hope not.
Thanks Many thanks to soho54, wherever you are. Thanks for introducing me to the advanced centerline folding method, thanks for the Akabak tutorial and the general informative nature of all your forum posts. Thanks to lilmike for providing the F20 blank Sketchup drawing, the F20 measurements, the good conversation, and all the rest you do. A constantly growing library of designs and info shared freely, something to be proud of. Thanks to LTD02 for asking a question I...
Akabak can't do PAR segments, is it reliable at all? This is a good question. The answer is yes, maybe and no. It depends on how many segments you break your horn down into and how long each of those segments are. Here's a picture to illustrate. FIGURE 13 The two pictures in the top row shows the longest segment in the F20 horn as depicted in Figure 4 as a PAR segment and as a CON segment. This is the segment defined by markers 32 and 33 in Figure 4. There's no...
Comparing the Hornresp sim, the Akabak sim and the measurementsLet's see if a simple Akabak simulation matches the results better than Hornresp. The Akaback sim has enough segments to fully capture the horn flare including the corners that stick out above the red line in Figure 8 but otherwise it's still a simple simulation. I'm not advanced enough to simulate acoustic mass, acoustic compliance and acoustic resistance and I can't make Akabak simulate losses due to less...
Why don't the simulations match the measurement perfectly? I figured I would include this addendum since I did the work anyway. Lilmike and I had a great conversation about this topic while I was working on the folding experiment. There are a great many things that can make a measured product deviate from a simulation's predictions. These are some of the factors we discussed, both of us already knew about all these but we found we are in agreement for most of these...
A method even more advanced than the advanced centerline method to simulate a hornThe real professionals probably aren't using the centerline or advanced centerline method. Danley doesn't and soho54 didn't either when he was being serious about accuracy. It's best to let him explain this in his own words with a direct quote from his post here - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1258118/akabak-for-dummies/30#post_19114195This is also a good post to quote here because he talks...